• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

isgk

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New Jersey

My daughter is separated from her husband. The electric bill was in both names. She called to have it disconnected this past week. He was able to stop that order and put a "passcode" on the account. In NY we have no idea why that is even available, regardless, she only found this out when she called to confirm the shut off had taken place since she no longer lives there. The electric company will not allow her to remove her name even though she has not been there for 2 months (mind you it was only being shut off as that is what the electric company told her she had to do in the first place to get it out of her name) ...so here is the problem, he has not worked in 5 years, thus the reason for the divorce...she is afraid he will get behind and with her name still on it..that affects her as well...What can she do there in NJ to legally get her name off this account before it ruins her credit?

LdiJ

isgk said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New Jersey

My daughter is separated from her husband. The electric bill was in both names. She called to have it disconnected this past week. He was able to stop that order and put a "passcode" on the account. In NY we have no idea why that is even available, regardless, she only found this out when she called to confirm the shut off had taken place since she no longer lives there. The electric company will not allow her to remove her name even though she has not been there for 2 months (mind you it was only being shut off as that is what the electric company told her she had to do in the first place to get it out of her name) ...so here is the problem, he has not worked in 5 years, thus the reason for the divorce...she is afraid he will get behind and with her name still on it..that affects her as well...What can she do there in NJ to legally get her name off this account before it ruins her credit?
I would say that she needs to call the company and ask to speak to a supervisor. They can't refuse to remove her name if that is no longer her residence.

isgk

thank you for your suggestion, she did that already however which is what made me try to find a place on line that might give us any thoughts. She spent 1 hour trying to get that supervisor to help her but they stayed firm since she didn't have that "passcode" (and of course he won't give it to her)

Gracie3787

isgk said:
thank you for your suggestion, she did that already however which is what made me try to find a place on line that might give us any thoughts. She spent 1 hour trying to get that supervisor to help her but they stayed firm since she didn't have that "passcode" (and of course he won't give it to her)
Did she get anything in writing from the supervisor? If not, she needs to go back and get it in writing. At least this way when they get into court she'll have proof that she shouldn't be held responsible for that bill. She might also get some help by threatening to go to whatever agency oversees utility co.s in your state. If the supervisor still refuses she can go to that agency. What a crazy mess. I hope it works out for her.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">