• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

divlol

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

my husband and i are separated for a year and the divorce trial is set for mar 30. He has the joint car with 13 k loan payoff amount owed. if he wants to keeps the car, do we have to split the loan payoff amt 50/50? I am living in the house we bought during mariage if i want to keeps the house, is he supposed to pay any mortgage on it?I have a home based business but it is not doing well.I have a business idea and want to use a domain name to launch a website.I aquired a domain name before our marriage but it expired during the marriage due to nonrenewal and I had to reregister it during the marriage. I currently control the domain name and pay for the renewal. If I use this domain for the new business, will my ex be able to claim a stake in business/profits/etc at divorce trial? The business idea is not from the marriage it came after we seprated.

Please advise.
TIA

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

my husband and i are separated for a year and the divorce trial is set for mar 30. He has the joint car with 13 k loan payoff amount owed. if he wants to keeps the car, do we have to split the loan payoff amt 50/50? I am living in the house we bought during mariage if i want to keeps the house, is he supposed to pay any mortgage on it?I have a home based business but it is not doing well.I have a business idea and want to use a domain name to launch a website.I aquired a domain name before our marriage but it expired during the marriage due to nonrenewal and I had to reregister it during the marriage. I currently control the domain name and pay for the renewal. If I use this domain for the new business, will my ex be able to claim a stake in business/profits/etc at divorce trial? The business idea is not from the marriage it came after we seprated.

Please advise.
TIA
Whoever keeps an asset must buy out the other's share in the equity in the asset, and must assume responsibility for any debt that goes along with the asset.

So, if the car has any equity (which is unlikely if there is still 13k due on it) then he would have to pay you out your share of that equity, and he would be 100% responsible for the loan payments from that day forward. Ideally he should refinance it into his own name, but that is often not possible with cars.

If you keep the home, then again, you have to pay him out his share of the equity, and refinance the home into your own name...or at least be 100% responsible for the house payments until you can refinance or sell the home.

As far as the domain name is concerned, that really isn't a big deal as far as assets go. Your ex cannot claim a stake in a business that hasn't even really started yet.

divlol

Hey thanks! does it matter if I start the new business before the divorce trial hearing?Will it be considered a marital asset or will it be split or will I be required to pay any monies to him if buisiness become successful because divorce is still pending?all he did was file a petition to dissolve marriage last year claiming us as separated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">