• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

divlol

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL
I learned there is no legal separation in florida. if a divorce is filed and pending and one spouse becomes successful and rich (after the filing), are that spouse's riches be split 50/50 at the final trial? Is that spouse's success counted as a marital asset to be distributed evenly at the trial?

mistoffolees

Depends on the circumstances. If, for example, it was an inheritance or a business that was acquired before the marriage, it would probably be separate property as long as it wasn't co-mingled.

So more detail is needed to answer your question.

divlol

Not inherited. I filed for divorce (still pending) and living separately for 10 month. after filing for divorce, i came up with a small business idea. If i launch it and if it becomes successful will it be split 50-50 at the trial as an asset (because the divorce is not finalized and there is no legal separation in FL)? Or the business launched after filing divorce is separate property? the business does not exist and divorce not finalized as of now. If my spouse made more money than i did after filing, will it be split 50-50? or we keep our earnings (after filing) to ourselves?

thanks!

mistoffolees

Please stop creating new threads every time a new idea pops into your head.

Once you've filed for divorce, your earnings are your own, unless ordered otherwise by the court.

It's rather presumptuous to be worrying about getting wealthy off of a new idea for a business that doesn't even exist. Even if it's a good idea (and about 90% of new business ideas aren't), it's not going to make you rich overnight. Unless it involves illegal activities that you shouldn't be talking about publicly, anyway.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">