• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Thread starter crystalbuterfly
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

crystalbuterfly

i live in virginia. i got married to my second husband one month before my final divorce papers came in the mail from my first husband. is my second marriage legal? My second husband and I have been living as man and wife all this time. Now he wants a divorce and no longer wants to abide by the seperation agreement he drew up. we both signed the agreement and had a notery noteterize it. He knew that I had not gotten my final papers for my first divorce because we were living together at the time and he was the witness at my divorce. Thank you for your help.

D

dorenephilpot

It doesn't matter when you received the papers by mail.

What does matter is this: Was the date that your previous marriage was dissolved (look at the date the judge signed it) BEFORE the date of your new marriage?

If so, you're OK.

If not, you have committed bigamy, which in Indiana would mean that your second marriage is not valid and that you could be in some trouble with the law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">