• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help on divorce and return of belongings

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

john12345

What is the name of your state? NJ
What can I do to get my X to return my daughters doll collection which she is refusing to return. My daughter is 18 and I have been searching for a way to help her file small claims papers in New Jersey to get the X to return her stuff she is holding hostage to try and force my daughter to speak with her which she has not done in 4 years after all the hurt, abuse and lying she has been put through. The X agreed with me to return them then never followed through and I have sent her a letter telling her to please not make it worse and have my daughter take her to court which she has also ignored. As you can tell my daughter lives with me and has since the filing of the divorce.
Also due to the amount of lying my X did I am paying an alimony I can not afford as my job had changed to care for my daughter and I had a negative cash flow last year and will probably need to file bankruptcy this year to survive... oh yea I am also paying the college with no help from the X and she also took half the 401k which was suppose to help with the college till the divorce happened and she got gready. She makes more tham me and lies about it and it was all ignored by the courts and we were forced to settle with me paying because the judge simply did not want to hear the case and forced a settlement or was to make her own decision which I was told would be more just because.
New Jersey what a wonderful state. So far I can't find an attorney I can afford to get the alimony stopped and legal aid has not gotten back to me. I am self employed and did have a negative cash flow last year and will probably have the same this year...
Any help on any of this would be great

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Wouldn't the simplest thing be to have your daughter talk to her Mom for as long as it takes to get the collection back?

As for the alimony - all I can suggest is filing for a modification based on your change in circumstances.

J

john12345

talking to the mother

is simply not an option.... If you knew the abuse and stalking that went on you could understand why it is not an option and why what the x is doing now is just apart of the game she is playing which is just consistent with the abuse. My daughter has already had to change jobs a number of time before turning 18. I really did not take the time to explain it all but believe me talking is simply not an option for my daughter

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">