• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help don't know what to do!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bigmuke01

My ex wife and I have 2 children. We agreed that when we file our tax returns, that we would get one child a piece. Unfortunately we been agruing and now she wants both kids. I already filed and now she has sent the IRS fraud documentation and our divorce decree. Could I get in trouble for this and what can I do. I'm tried of fighting with her and I just want to be treated fairly.

Silverplum

My ex wife and I have 2 children. We agreed that when we file our tax returns, that we would get one child a piece. Unfortunately we been agruing and now she wants both kids. I already filed and now she has sent the IRS fraud documentation and our divorce decree. Could I get in trouble for this and what can I do. I'm tried of fighting with her and I just want to be treated fairly.
What is the name of your US state?

If your agreement to claim one child apiece was not what your court order or what the IRS regulations state, then you have no enforceable agreement.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
total re-edit due to someone's hijack...

The exact wording of your decree matters. A side, verbal/non-court-ordered agreement is not going to be enforceable. If your ex is acting according to the orders, she has done nothing fraudulent. But you may both be audited. Don't go spending any return you received too quickly...

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">