• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help for a family member

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stacy24

What is the name of your state? GA

I have a family member who's husband has filed for divorce in TN stating that he has lived there for 6 months when in fact he has lived in GA for the past 3 1/2 months. What could happen to him if this where brought to the attension of the courts? Would he still be able to go forward with the divorce?

Thank you!

SHORTY LONG

I have a family member who's husband has filed for divorce in TN stating that he has lived there for 6 months when in fact he has lived in GA for the past 3 1/2 months. What could happen to him if this where brought to the attension of the courts? Would he still be able to go forward with the divorce?

Thank you!
Hearsay is tricky and sticky business. However, first, he must want a [divorce]
really bad if in fact he will be lying to a Court. The ramifications from his own
actions can be quite severe; it is the Court's indiscretion, and must be 100%
proven, that in deed he is lying to the Court.

LdiJ

really bad if in fact he will be lying to a Court. The ramifications from his own
Shorty, can I respectfully ask that you stop posting in bold? It makes your posts very difficult to read.

SHORTY LONG

Shorty, can I respectfully ask that you stop posting in bold? It makes your posts very difficult to read.

Sorry LdiJ, my eyesight even with bifocals is not what it used to be! Sure,
no problem, and thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
:D
WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? Hearsay? Shorty please learn what hearsay is. I think the word you want is PERJURY!:D

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Thank you!
The family member needs to object to the filing of the divorce on the grounds that TN does NOT have jurisdiction since hubby doesn't live there.

SHORTY LONG

:D

WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? Hearsay? Shorty please learn what hearsay is. I think the word you want is PERJURY!:D
Dam Ohiogal, did you slip and fall on a buckeye. It is only becomes [PERJURY] once
it is well grounded before the Court., and the perjurer has no escape, and or no way
out of the trap that, he or she has made for themselves!

Hearsay= (noun) rumor., common talk or an instance of it that spreads rapidly.
Synonyms: report, buzz, cry, gossip, grapevine, murmur, rumble, rumor, scuttlebutt,
talk, tattle, whispering, word. Will this suffice. Sure hope so.

Is the glass half full or half empty.

Last edited:

Bali Hai

Sorry LdiJ, my eyesight even with bifocals is not what it used to be! Sure,
no problem, and thank you for bringing this to my attention.
Must be an ex-judge who graduated law school last in their class .:rolleyes:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Dam Ohiogal, did you slip and fall on a buckeye. It is only becomes [PERJURY] once
it is well grounded before the Court., and the perjurer has no escape, and or no way
out of the trap that, he or she has made for themselves!

Hearsay= (noun) rumor., common talk or an instance of it that spreads rapidly.
Synonyms: report, buzz, cry, gossip, grapevine, murmur, rumble, rumor, scuttlebutt,
talk, tattle, whispering, word. Will this suffice. Sure hope so.

Is the glass half full or half empty.
That is not the legal definition of hearsay. Hearsay is inadmissible in the rules of evidence. ANYTHING a party states is NOT considered hearsay. It is considered an admission of a party or party opponent. Anything stated in a motion is considered to have been sworn and be the truth. Hence it is well grounded before the court. If the OP's family member states that hubby is not a resident and proves it and hubby admits it, then it is perjury. But is not hearsay as defined by the courts.

SHORTY LONG

That is not the legal definition of hearsay. Hearsay is inadmissible in the rules of evidence. ANYTHING a party states is NOT considered hearsay. It is considered an admission of a party or party opponent. Anything stated in a motion is considered to have been sworn and be the truth. Hence it is well grounded before the court. If the OP's family member states that hubby is not a resident and proves it and hubby admits it, then it is perjury. But is not hearsay as defined by the courts.
Agreed where you shared in that, it is put in a "Motion," and should be under sworn
testimony to be the "truth."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">