• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HELP!! How can I keep him at his own place?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

confusedincm

i live in NJ and my soon to be ex finally moved out of the house this weekend, however, he feels he can still come & go as he pleases in the house. He is living in a 1 bedroom condo that we owned for investment with friends of ours. We have a daughter that he comes and see but, he has now told her when he can, he'll stay until she falls asleep. Does he have a right to do these things, mainly the coming and going when he wants (he has a lot of his things still there because there is no room at the condo). Shouldn't he have to call or make an appt.?
We have gone the route of doing the divorce ourselves. We are doing the no-fault divorce. You know the type, pay $500 and they type all the necessary paperwork for you once we have agreed on everything and tell us how to file everything.
I'm afraid to make to much of a wave because then he won't give me what he has agreed to which is more than the courts would have given. I feel like a puppet on a string and he keep cutting the strings 1 by 1. The funny thing about this is he is the one who committed adultry and i'm the one who has to take all the crap. I don't want my child to ever find out and be hurt. We promised we would have a nice divorce.
SOMEONE PLEASE ADVISE ME IF HE HAS THE RIGHT TO KEEP COMING IN AND OUT WHENEVER HE WANTS TO EVEN AFTER HE HAS MOVED INTO HIS OWN PLACE????

THANK YOU :confused:

soon to be X

I think you first mistake was doing the divorce yourselve and not getting YOUR OWN attorney--How soon will this divorce be final? Have you considered changing the locks? That would certainly keep him out--He really should remove his belongings from your residence so you can get on with your life--I am assuming you got the house, correct? I hope he got the payments---I really think you should consult with an attorney of your own and see if you can undue this "filing for your divorce yourselves" thing--Just because you are claiming a no-fault divorce does not mean you can't have an attorney--are you aware of that? What makes you think you wouldn't get what you have already agreed to if you had an attorney? Did your soon to be X tell you that? Please, for your own good, see an attorney. Good Luck

J

jim40

One more thing that recycbride didn't say, "you don't have to tell your ex you're seeing an attorney", get a second opinion so after the divorce is finalized you won't be kicking yourself in behind.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">