• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help! I need to know if I am actually married!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

studiopro

I was married in 1986, but got divorced 5 yrs later, but never actually left our home. My elderly mother lived across the street, so I did spend time going back and forth.
We had 3 other children, the youngest born in 1998, and we went through a ceremony at church Dec 24th, 1997, but didn't get another license. The church issued a document which we signed.
Also, up until just recently he had claimed me on his taxes.

He moved out approximately 6 months ago, and took the kids.--Legally we both have custody of them, but it is my step son who won't let me near them or call them-- It is a rather strange situation as has been acting like we were "married" coming over to the house alot, calling and emailing me, and intimacy as well. 2 days after he told me he had been seeing someone else, and I found out he had passed STD to me, and then he told me he was going out of state to get married. Do I need to file for divorce? One attorney said I may fall under the "grandfather claus" for common law marriages.

Can anyone help me please??? I miss my kids so very much!

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Noone can answer your question without the one vital piece of info you refused to provide.

studiopro

Help! Need to know if I am married!

Ok, I must admit I am confused. What piece of vital information did I refuse to provide? I do not recall refusing any information.

I live in Oklahoma.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
When you start a new thread, right there in the posting box is a question. Which you deleted.

"What is the name of your state?"

In addition, right above the posting box, in BIG RED LETTERS it says

*** Please include the name of the appropriate state as laws often differ.***

rmet4nzkx

studiopro said:
Ok, I must admit I am confused. What piece of vital information did I refuse to provide? I do not recall refusing any information.

I live in Oklahoma.
We need to know your state to answer your question.
OK recognizes common law marriages, so if you divorced and continued to co-habit, had a church marriage, file taxes together and present yourselves as married, you will require another divorce to legally end the relationship.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">