• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help! Mother in law id family law attorney

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aldenr

I am a military spouse. My wife is having her mother's firm to draw up divorce papers. Is there anyway I can contest the divorce on the grounds of conflict of interest, as my wife has been lying to her mother about me for quite some time now.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am a military spouse. My wife is having her mother's firm to draw up divorce papers. Is there anyway I can contest the divorce on the grounds of conflict of interest, as my wife has been lying to her mother about me for quite some time now.

In a word, no.

(Even though you didn't tell us the name of your state...)

Proserpina

Why don't you simply dispute the lies?

mistoffolees

In a word, no.

(Even though you didn't tell us the name of your state...)
And, frankly, it's irrelevant. STBX's attorney is SUPPOSED to be working for the benefit of his/her client. They should rely on all the information the client gives them. Whether the attorney is a MIL, sister, 23rd cousin or Mickey Mouse doesn't change that.

However, it COULD work to OP's advantage. STBX's mother is likely to have a distorted view of the situation since she will likely believe everything that her daughter tells her. If a factual dispute arises, STBX's attorney/mother will likely go too far in stating their case - and then if OP has evidence contradicting it, it makes them look bad. So, the same thing applies here as in any divorce. If there are disputed issues, gather all the factual evidence you have and give it to your attorney.

Note, however, that while OP can't contest the DIVORCE on those grounds, he is certainly free to dispute any errors in the divorce filing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">