• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help needed urgently. Been kicked out of my rented house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

x0x Quaid x0x

My now ex-girlfriend decided on tuesday night to kick ome out of the house that we have rented for 3 years, and she's stolen my key, and her, her mother and sister bullied me into packing my things and leaving the house.

Since then, some things have happened. She's moved out of the house and because I've had no access, every posession that was in the house is now at her parents, and they are not letting me have any of it. They are saying that they will only release stuff when I come to an agreement with them on paying her credit card bill off, and paying off any outstanding bills and rent at the house which I was kicked out of.

Can she and her family do this to me? Is there something I can do to get some posessions back?

I've even said that she can keep everything, and keep the money that she gets if she decides to sell the stuff, as long as I have the TV that was in the house that was paid for on my bank card with my tax rebate from work, and this is the only thing I'm asking for. Yet her and her family are refusing to give me anything until I pay up.

Is this illegal, and does having posessions that I have paid for at their house class as theft? And if she kicked me out rather than moving out, am I liable to pay any outstanding bills?

Please help, I'm in a right mess!!

mistoffolees

My now ex-girlfriend decided on tuesday night to kick ome out of the house that we have rented for 3 years, and she's stolen my key, and her, her mother and sister bullied me into packing my things and leaving the house.

Since then, some things have happened. She's moved out of the house and because I've had no access, every posession that was in the house is now at her parents, and they are not letting me have any of it. They are saying that they will only release stuff when I come to an agreement with them on paying her credit card bill off, and paying off any outstanding bills and rent at the house which I was kicked out of.

Can she and her family do this to me? Is there something I can do to get some posessions back?

I've even said that she can keep everything, and keep the money that she gets if she decides to sell the stuff, as long as I have the TV that was in the house that was paid for on my bank card with my tax rebate from work, and this is the only thing I'm asking for. Yet her and her family are refusing to give me anything until I pay up.

Is this illegal, and does having posessions that I have paid for at their house class as theft? And if she kicked me out rather than moving out, am I liable to pay any outstanding bills?

Please help, I'm in a right mess!!
Whose name is on the lease? If your name is on the lease, you are free to go in any time you wish. If your name isn't on the list, you're going to have a harder time doing anything about her. She doesn't have to continue to let her into the house. By putting your belongings into the house, you're making them available for her use. There MIGHT be some recourse against her family, though, if they took your things. They might be guilty of theft.

I'd suggest a strongly worded letter from an attorney telling them that if your belongings are returned to you within 10 days in good condition that you will not file a police report against the family for theft.

x0x Quaid x0x

My name is on the lease aswell as hers, but she has since given both sets of keys back to the landlord, so I have no access to the property anyway. She however is claiming that I must pay the rent for this month, even though she kicked me out. Even though she is living with her parents, I'm guessing I can still go ahead with that letter from an attorney about posessions being in their house?

I feel like I'm being held to ransom, and surely that's not right.

Last edited:
Call the police right now and report the theft of your property. When the police go over to their house to investigate, they will be stupid enough to tell the officer that they want you to pay the credit card, the kind officer will tell them that they have committed the offense of theft, and I think right about that time, they will be inclined to return your property.

Your property was removed from your legal residence. Now go get it back.

LdiJ

My name is on the lease aswell as hers, but she has since given both sets of keys back to the landlord, so I have no access to the property anyway. She however is claiming that I must pay the rent for this month, even though she kicked me out. Even though she is living with her parents, I'm guessing I can still go ahead with that letter from an attorney about posessions being in their house?

If the lease and the bills are in your name, you are responsible for them. DO NOT be stupid and tank your own credit because she threw you out. Do not allow bills in your name to go unpaid, even if her name is on them too. You can also talk to the landlord about taking over the lease if you can afford the home on your own.

Now, as far as anything that you can prove is your personal property, you have various options for that. I would NOT go charging to their home with the police, because there is going to be all kinds of "he said/she said" stuff happen and the police are unlikely to assist. However you can file a small claim court case against both she and her parents for the items.

You could try a letter from an attorney as well, but going the small claim route would likely be cheaper.

mistoffolees

If your name is on the lease, then ask the landlord for the keys. Since you agreed to the lease, you need to pay it. You MAY be able to get the court to have her pay half of it (or even all of it for the time you weren't there if you can show that she threw you out), but you still need to pay the rent for now.

As for the rest, I would still suggest a letter from your attorney telling them they have 10 days to return your belongings or you will file theft charges. In addition, the attorney's letter can demand 1/2 of the rent for the term of the ease.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">