• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Helpless in Louisiana

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RSusan

What is the name of your state? Louisiana

I am trying to file for divorce on my own. My husband and I were married for only 1 1/2 years. I left him 4 years ago. We don't even live in the same state. We have no children, no property, no joint accounts. Everything was divided years ago. We have been living as single people. Do I file an article 102 or 103? Do I need to fill out a marital agreement, financial affidavit and all that? I'm not asking for alimony or anything. Neither is he. We just want it over. I can't get any help from anyone here. :confused:

RSusan

I really don't have a choice but to file on my own. I have checked many sites online and none have given me an answer. I don't see why so much paperwork would be necessary in my situation. I suppose it must be unusual.

jeremycedotal

not sure this helps but....

There is no such thing as legal separation in Louisiana. Since you and your husband have been living apart for mkore than 6 months, all you have to do is get the papers wrote up, serve them to him, and if he is ok with it he doesn't even have to show up in court. When the court day arrives and he is not there, then the papers are put into effect when the judge signs them.

Now as for which papers are the correct ones, I am not sure, but any lawyer will tell you over the phone for free.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">