• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is His Debt Mine???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

palmtree

What is the name of your state? Calfornia

I have filed Petition for Divorce. He's been served. We're trying to do it ourselves to save money. We've been married 26 years 7 months as of the date of separation.

Spouse got us into such debt and has three credit cards that I never had my name on the account. I never had a card for these accounts nor was on the credit agreements and when I contacted the creditors, was told I had no rights. I was trying to close them if I could because he just keeps charging and charging.

Question is, will I have to split this debt with him or is it his specifically his debt and he can't make me split them? He thinks it is all community debts.

Your help is appreciated.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Calfornia

I have filed Petition for Divorce. He's been served. We're trying to do it ourselves to save money. We've been married 26 years 7 months as of the date of separation.

Spouse got us into such debt and has three credit cards that I never had my name on the account. I never had a card for these accounts nor was on the credit agreements and when I contacted the creditors, was told I had no rights. I was trying to close them if I could because he just keeps charging and charging.

Question is, will I have to split this debt with him or is it his specifically his debt and he can't make me split them? He thinks it is all community debts.

Your help is appreciated.
Because CA is a community property state, you will be responsible for 1/2 of that debt. However, if you can prove that he ran up additional debt after you filed for divorce, there is a chance that the judge will make him responsible for that portion of the debt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">