• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

His rich parents have supported us. He's never worked, while I did.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sallytodd

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

We're married 8 years. Have two kids (6 and 2 years old)

We haven't been getting along and two weeks ago my husband moved out. He rented a place nearby and we alternate with the kids.

He is unemployed and has been unemployed throughout the whole marriage. I work full time but my income is low.

We've been getting by because his parents are rich and have been supporting us (him).

I'm worried because with my income I don't know how I'll get by with two kids. We also live in a relatively expensive area and I would have to move away to a more affordable area, if I am to depend on my income alone.

He has no worries. His parents will give him money whenever he needs it.

What are my options? I feel totally powerless and hopeless. He is trying to pressure me into signing a separation agreement and has become extremely hostile. He keeps threatening me saying if I don't sign he'll take it to divorce court. He can afford expensive legal fees. I can't. And he knows it.

He is also insistent on having our 2-year old daughter with him more - but she is still nursing. And he's being totally unreasonable about it.

To sum it up - my questions are:
1. The funds and assets in our name is minimal. We have just enough to get by. No property and no big savings. But his parents are very wealthy and have been supporting us. On my own, I don't know if I'll be able to support my kids and myself. What are my legal rights as to financial support?
2. He moved out. And I may have to move to an area further away where I can find an apartment where rent is more affordable. How does custody work when divorced parents live far away from each other?

Thanks for any help on this.

Eekamouse

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

We're married 8 years. Have two kids (6 and 2 years old)

We haven't been getting along and two weeks ago my husband moved out. He rented a place nearby and we alternate with the kids.

He is unemployed and has been unemployed throughout the whole marriage. I work full time but my income is low.

We've been getting by because his parents are rich and have been supporting us (him).

I'm worried because with my income I don't know how I'll get by with two kids. We also live in a relatively expensive area and I would have to move away to a more affordable area, if I am to depend on my income alone.

He has no worries. His parents will give him money whenever he needs it.

What are my options? I feel totally powerless and hopeless. He is trying to pressure me into signing a separation agreement and has become extremely hostile. He keeps threatening me saying if I don't sign he'll take it to divorce court. He can afford expensive legal fees. I can't. And he knows it.

He is also insistent on having our 2-year old daughter with him more - but she is still nursing. And he's being totally unreasonable about it.

To sum it up - my questions are:
1. The funds and assets in our name is minimal. We have just enough to get by. No property and no big savings. But his parents are very wealthy and have been supporting us. On my own, I don't know if I'll be able to support my kids and myself. What are my legal rights as to financial support?
2. He moved out. And I may have to move to an area further away where I can find an apartment where rent is more affordable. How does custody work when divorced parents live far away from each other?

Thanks for any help on this.
Doesn't matter if your ex's parents are rich or not. They won't be required to pay you support. Your ex will so he better get himself a job. Your ex will not have to pay you a dime until a court orders him to.

OHRoadwarrior

He is entitled to half the marital assets, will likely file for alimony and at best you can likely get an order for support at minimum wage. All these will ultimately be decided by the court during the divorce. I also suggest you work out a visitation plan for the kids, including transportation if you plan on moving very far.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
He is entitled to half the marital assets, will likely file for alimony and at best you can likely get an order for support at minimum wage. All these will ultimately be decided by the court during the divorce. I also suggest you work out a visitation plan for the kids, including transportation if you plan on moving very far.
And she shouldn't count on being the one to be primary if she is going to move very far.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Since he is unemployed and you work - who watches the kids when you are working? How does your 2yo breastfeed while you are at work?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">