• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hold on Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kidkilroy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL My wife has put a hold on our divorce and i know she did this just out of spite. I am disabled and there is noway i can afford an attorney to help me in these matters so i am stuck doing this alone. We have been sepperated over almost 2 years now and i just want the divorce done and over with so i can go on with my life. She had filed the divorce back in april of 2007. The biggest factor that plays in this case is file under extreme mental and physical abuse, and i do own up to some of it but not all of it. She has exaggerated alot of what had happened, but none the less i am guilty of some of it. I have Done a mens domestic abuse and I rather enjoyed the class, I learned alot from that class. My question is, is there anyway to force the divorce thru, and is there a pro bono lawyer out there willing to help me. I might add that my wife was married before and he filed under mental abuse on her which the courts awarded hands down as he proved this with out a doubt. I just want this divorce over and done with.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL My wife has put a hold on our divorce and i know she did this just out of spite. I am disabled and there is noway i can afford an attorney to help me in these matters so i am stuck doing this alone. We have been sepperated over almost 2 years now and i just want the divorce done and over with so i can go on with my life. She had filed the divorce back in april of 2007. The biggest factor that plays in this case is file under extreme mental and physical abuse, and i do own up to some of it but not all of it. She has exaggerated alot of what had happened, but none the less i am guilty of some of it. I have Done a mens domestic abuse and I rather enjoyed the class, I learned alot from that class. My question is, is there anyway to force the divorce thru, and is there a pro bono lawyer out there willing to help me. I might add that my wife was married before and he filed under mental abuse on her which the courts awarded hands down as he proved this with out a doubt. I just want this divorce over and done with.
Why did she put a hold on things? What does she mean to accomplish by that?

mistoffolees

My question is, is there anyway to force the divorce thru, and is there a pro bono lawyer out there willing to help me.
Start making phone calls. Ask attorneys about payment plans or if they can be paid from marital assets or if they do pro bono work. There is probably an attorney referral site in your area, too (use Google.com).

Kidkilroy

Because I stopped talking

She put the divorce on hold because i stopped talking to her period and had no intention of talking to her every again. She does whatever she can to make this as difficult as possible. She even got to the point where she was making me say I love you just to get her to do anything with the divorce. My other problem is i just recently found out her Lawyer is through Land of Lincon ( pro bono). So that short of shorts me there. I am in dire straights at the moment and i have spoke to several lawyers and because i am disabled and barely making it by they won't accept my case. Anybody have any idea's i Live in Illinois, but not in the same county as her. As a matter of fact i live over 5 1/2 hours away

Jed Clampet

Don't know you or your entire situation, but a friend of mine is going through a divorce and she is working with her church. She said that attorney is talking to her and giving advice free of charge. She said he will have to charge by the hour only, no retainer, when he has to do the actual leg work. Just a thought. Not sure about the laws in your state, but I think in TN. If someone is cruel or inhumane to a disabled spouse that may be immediate grounds. She may even have to pay the costs according the financial situation. HANG IN THERE...

Kidkilroy

Are you possibly near any law schools who could help with filing the paperwork?
No i am not and even if i was it would do me little good i have had four back surgeries and it has left me in a bad way it is hard for me to get around period, but she expects me to give up what i have and come see her just so she will resume the divorce. I am totaly lost and confused, and i said before i am at fault for some of what happened, but near as much as she says i am.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">