• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Home equity and division of property questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mikayili

What is the name of your state? MD

I am currently getting ready to move out of my house and into some other place. I don't really have the money but the marriage is getting worse by the day and more and more verbally abusive. We had domestic violence issues and I took him to court in 2003. Things were resolved and we were starting to get better, or so I thought. He has been 'talking' to a girlfriend of his for over 4 years now (I found out through joint cellphone bills that it was extensive...calls to her home, cellphone and office, twice a day). In April of this year he emailed her talking about how much he missed her etc, but swore there was nothing going on but that's just background.

We bought a house in 2001 that he put in his name stating that my name would be added later. I paid the $1000 good faith deposit. When I started asking if he was going to add my name to the house he said there was no point as I could not pay the mortgage. I don't know if I have any right to anything to do with the house. Can I get half of the equity? He has threatened to take me to court and get custody of our daughter because he can provide a good place for her to live and I can't. I barely make enough to survive on, and am worried that it might happen. If I can get some equity, I might be able to get something decent. I can't afford to stay at the house because I don't have $3583 per month to pay for the house (that is only worth $1680/month in payments). He refinanced twice to get equity out of the house (1st time was $11000, and the second time about $25000). I didn't get to see any of that money...in fact during that time he told me that he didn't have enough money to pay bills and needed me to pitch in to pay some bills. I took over electricity and water and then found out he had all this extra money sitting around. He denied it when I asked though. Can I recoup some of that money as marital property or is it a lost cause?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state? MD

I am currently getting ready to move out of my house and into some other place. I don't really have the money but the marriage is getting worse by the day and more and more verbally abusive. We had domestic violence issues and I took him to court in 2003. Things were resolved and we were starting to get better, or so I thought. He has been 'talking' to a girlfriend of his for over 4 years now (I found out through joint cellphone bills that it was extensive...calls to her home, cellphone and office, twice a day). In April of this year he emailed her talking about how much he missed her etc, but swore there was nothing going on but that's just background.

We bought a house in 2001 that he put in his name stating that my name would be added later. I paid the $1000 good faith deposit. When I started asking if he was going to add my name to the house he said there was no point as I could not pay the mortgage. I don't know if I have any right to anything to do with the house. Can I get half of the equity? He has threatened to take me to court and get custody of our daughter because he can provide a good place for her to live and I can't. I barely make enough to survive on, and am worried that it might happen. If I can get some equity, I might be able to get something decent. I can't afford to stay at the house because I don't have $3583 per month to pay for the house (that is only worth $1680/month in payments). He refinanced twice to get equity out of the house (1st time was $11000, and the second time about $25000). I didn't get to see any of that money...in fact during that time he told me that he didn't have enough money to pay bills and needed me to pitch in to pay some bills. I took over electricity and water and then found out he had all this extra money sitting around. He denied it when I asked though. Can I recoup some of that money as marital property or is it a lost cause?

**A: you need to see a family law attorney like yesterday.

mikayili

House

I can't afford housing AND a lawyer. How bad does this look? Legal Aid is not able to help because on paper I make too much.

mikayili

Housing dispute

I have a friend who is a general lawyer and his advice was to get a family law lawyer. I am going to talk to the MD Bar Association and see if they can give me a lawyer that is willing to work at a reduced fee or pro bono.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">