• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Home valuation for buyout

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KirkL

What is the generally accepted date that a home valuation should be based on for a buyout? Is it the date of separation?
It can make a huge difference when home prices are declining the way they are now.

Thanks,
Kirk

nextwife

No. The seperation has nor resulted in the co borrower having been either paid for their equity or released from their debt. If the home is being sold, it should be a split of the proceeds. I run at least three valuations on every home I deal with each day- and they vary wildly. In this market one cannot know an actual valuation until you actually DO something with the house- like sell or refinance.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
No. The seperation has nor resulted in the co borrower having been either paid for their equity or released from their debt. If the home is being sold, it should be a split of the proceeds. I run at least three valuations on every home I deal with each day- and they vary wildly. In this market one cannot know an actual valuation until you actually DO something with the house- like sell or refinance.
I agree with nextwife. The valuation should be based on the time of buyout AND there should be a limit on the length of time from the divorce the buyout can occur.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">