• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

House

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sbvol

What is the name of your state? Tennesse

My wife and I built a house, then she decided that she did not like paying the house payments. She moved out and has not paid or helped make the $1500 house payment since dec 03. Now she wants the house sold in the divorce. Here is the unfair things. My father gave me part of the family farm to build the house. She only lived in the house 10 months. plus I moved down to help my father he is full disability. How is it fair that she can do this..Anything I can do.

LdiJ

sbvol said:
What is the name of your state? Tennesse

My wife and I built a house, then she decided that she did not like paying the house payments. She moved out and has not paid or helped make the $1500 house payment since dec 03. Now she wants the house sold in the divorce. Here is the unfair things. My father gave me part of the family farm to build the house. She only lived in the house 10 months. plus I moved down to help my father he is full disability. How is it fair that she can do this..Anything I can do.
Yes, there is something you can do. If you are able to refinance the mortgage into your name only, for enough to cover the mortgage and buy out her share of the equity (whatever the judge decides is her share), then a judge would likely grant that request.

However, if you cannot....then a judge is likely to order the house to be sold.
The problem is that you cannot keep the house with her name on the mortgage.

LdiJ

sbvol said:
If I put the house up forsale..what can I do about her not helping with the mortage?
Probably nothing. Generally the party living in the home is responsible for the mortgage until the home sells.

HomeGuru

sbvol said:
If I put the house up forsale..what can I do about her not helping with the mortage?

**A: you can go to court and get an order for her to pay some shre now or negotiate the share of equity in divorce court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">