• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

House

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

prenupmama

What is the name of your state? Louisiana

My husband & I are sep. for about 4 months. He tells me he wants to buy a house, but wants me to sign a paper saying I will not want half if he sells it. Neither of us has filed paper yet. Can he purchase a home right now? And should I sign any papers?

seniorjudge

Q: My husband & I are sep. for about 4 months. He tells me he wants to buy a house, but wants me to sign a paper saying I will not want half if he sells it. Neither of us has filed paper yet. Can he purchase a home right now?

A: Yes, if he has the money or the credit.

Q: And should I sign any papers?

A: If you want to help your husband get a house, yes; if you do not want to help your husband get a house, no.

LdiJ

prenupmama said:
What is the name of your state? Louisiana

My husband & I are sep. for about 4 months. He tells me he wants to buy a house, but wants me to sign a paper saying I will not want half if he sells it. Neither of us has filed paper yet. Can he purchase a home right now? And should I sign any papers?
Don't sign ANY papers unless you get the advice of an attorney and the attorney advises that you sign. Your husband could be using marital assets to purchase this house. If you sign the papers you could lose your fair share of those marital assets.

LdiJ

prenupmama said:
I don't know how he has the money. He filed bankruptcy only 3 1/2 years ago. Left here w/ only $800.
Hon...refuse to sign ANYTHING without the advice of an attorney.

seniorjudge

prenupmama said:
seniorjudge, what do you mean by something strange going on here?

I don't know how he has the money. He filed bankruptcy only 3 1/2 years ago. Left here w/ only $800.

How did he get money? (Or credit?)

prenupmama

I don't know. I know he has a lawsuit pending(??), maybe he rec. money I don't know about from that. His accident only happened 3 1/2 months ago. He also could be just playing me to see if I'll freak out because he wants to purchase a home. He does play alot of mind games. I'll contact my lawyer & ask for his advice, but I'm not signing anything.

prenupmama

I don't really have a lawyer, but I have a friend who is a lawyer, just there if I need advice, but can't always get in touch w/. Thanks for any help you have given me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">