• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hsb123

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

My ex-wife and I bought a home together. In the divorce decree, she was awarded full ownership of the house. Only my name was on the mortgage at the time. The divorce decree stated that she would have to secure her own mortgage for the house, which she never did. Three months later she abandoned the house and told me to sell it. We executed a quit claim deed removing her from the title in order to facilitate the sale of the house. I arranged for a short-sale of the house with the mortgage company. The mortgage company is requiring $5000 or a promisory note at closing. I approached her at providing the money to satisfy the funds necessary in excess of the sale price ($5000), and she said that her lawyer had advised her that she had no legal obligation to make any payments whatsoever. I am unsure whether or not I will be able to recover any money from her that I paid to the mortgage company and would like more information prior to seeking advise from a lawyer and incurring additional legal expenses. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

mistoffolees

Take her back to court on contempt. And sue for your attorney expenses.
It seems odd that her attorney would give her such bad advice. I wonder if she's bluffing (my ex was always telling me things that she claimed were from her attorney and were totally made up). He might find that if he files for contempt that she WILL contact her attorney and it might get settled quickly. However, that's speculation. Your advice is the correct course of action - only time will tell.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">