• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

House Appraisal - any right to "be there" during appraisal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PhilE

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WI

Were in the back n forth process of getting to a final MSA. Currently my Ex elected to move out and get an apartment, i remained in the family home. Were at the point where an appraisal is needed and she is saying she wants to be there.

I'm fairly sure that the appraiser is going to come up w/ the same number regardless of whether the owners are there or not. Does she have a legitmate position to ask to be there and can i just say no....? (i suspect its more about being nosey than an actual desire to see the appraisal..)

Thxs

nextwife

I handle default real estate all over WI, and be certain your appraiser is VERY local. I get all sorts of screwball numbers that don't end up relating to true market value, because sometimes appraisal firms send a guy from another municipality who doesn't really know the local market. We get many appraisals WAY off the mark as to value - the REO appraisal prices at foreclosure have not been born out by the ultimate sale prices 30 to 200 days later. DO NOT use someone who doesn't really know your mini-market. Esp. in WI, the difference of even a couple blocks can drastically change the value, and out of area appraisers are unaware of the nuance of the location impacts.

FYI- We don't rely on appraisal alone in this market. We get three to four different valuations and average them out.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WI

Were in the back n forth process of getting to a final MSA. Currently my Ex elected to move out and get an apartment, i remained in the family home. Were at the point where an appraisal is needed and she is saying she wants to be there.

I'm fairly sure that the appraiser is going to come up w/ the same number regardless of whether the owners are there or not. Does she have a legitmate position to ask to be there and can i just say no....? (i suspect its more about being nosey than an actual desire to see the appraisal..)

Thxs
Is she on the mortgage and deed to the property? If so, she has the right to be there any time she wants, and you have no right to say no.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">