• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

House Considered Marital Property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bubbasmom

I live in NJ. Before my husband & I got married he said his plans were to build a house on a property he inherited & pay for it with money he inherited. I agreed to sell my house & move there. Because of the market I could not sell my house, my husband took a huge paycut & I wound up forclosing on my house. In the meantime the new house project went way over budget & we had to take a $75,000 mortgage to finish the project. I have been paying that mortgage and 90% of the household bills for the last 2 years. Now my husbad is threatening divorce. Am I entitled to any part of the house? or am I screwed? I do not have any savings because I have been paying most of the bills & I have a forclosure on my credit report. We do not have any children.

Thanks!!!!

LdiJ

I live in NJ. Before my husband & I got married he said his plans were to build a house on a property he inherited & pay for it with money he inherited. I agreed to sell my house & move there. Because of the market I could not sell my house, my husband took a huge paycut & I wound up forclosing on my house. In the meantime the new house project went way over budget & we had to take a $75,000 mortgage to finish the project. I have been paying that mortgage and 90% of the household bills for the last 2 years. Now my husbad is threatening divorce. Am I entitled to any part of the house? or am I screwed? I do not have any savings because I have been paying most of the bills & I have a forclosure on my credit report. We do not have any children.

Thanks!!!!
Yes, you are entitled to a portion of the equity in the home. It may however, not be a very large portion. You had best consult with a local attorney, with all of the paperwork in hand.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">