• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

house forclosure, car repo- both in my name only

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

onenonly76

What is the name of your state? California
My husband and I have been separated for over a year. We are planning to file for divorce soon. He has been paying the house and car payments during the separation. We are now losing our house and car due to my husbands job loss. Both loans are in my name. Is there anything I can do to prevent my credit from being the only one affected?

tuffbrk

Just curious why you haven't sold? Presuming due to market conditions you haven't been able to sell for profit or at break even? Presumably, OP qualified and I realize that the loss of one income towards expenses is crippling (my STBX quit his job when I filed) but to lose house and car that you qualified for? Maybe part of this story is missing...

moburkes

And: the house.
Huh? I incorrectly emphasized the "only" part, when I meant to emphasize the "her" part. In either case, only her credit will show late payments or on time payments.

OP, this is what you agreed to when you put the loans in your name. You cannot now decide to ruin his credit as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">