• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

House paid for does she get anything?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

limpy

What is the name of your state? MD

I have owned my house for 3 years and investments for 2 years. I have been seeing this girl for about a year.

My question is if I get married and after that I sell the stocks to pay off the house would she be entitled to half? If so would a pre nuptial agreement help me out so I would not have to pay for the house again?

nextwife

Yes, if you marry, by all means get a prenup that lists assets going into the marriage and specifically clarifies that if you use one premarital asset to reduce the debt on the other premarital asset, you both understand and agree that the premarital real estate remains seperate property.

However, if you co-mingle marital income into the property by making mortgage payments with marital funds, you may have a problem. So if you can go into any marriage with the house F&C, it would be easier to prove that payments were not made using marital income.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">