• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

house settlement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kewlbunny

What is the name of your state? NY

when my x and i started our divorce proceedings, we agreed to use 1 lawyer.. HIS lawyer... (I know, bad move) but i felt bad for him and i wanted to be fair... well, now i am afraid that i'm getting worked over, so i'd just like someone opinion...

We have 3 children (I am the CP) and a house together... so as to not force me to sell the house, or put us out on the street, i assumed all bills with the house... his lawyer wrote up that because he could have forced me to sell the house, that he should get a settlement of half of the profit when i do sell the house (wether that be 2 or 20 yrs from now) For example.. the house is worth 300000... we pay the mortgage first of 120000 leaving 80000 profit to split. So now i owe him 400000.. it is written as a mortgage against the house that has no monthly payments.. it is due when my youngest child turns 18 or i sell the house and accrues 5% interest. It seemed fair at the time... but please can someone tell me what i'm not seeing...

Also... i am not collecting alimony from him, nor am i charging him storage on any of his belongings that are still here... In your opinions, do you think I should retain a lawyer quickly... stop the proceedings and have the papers rewritten so that the alimony I should have forced him to pay comes off that mortgage, as well as storage? Or does the above seem like a fair deal and as good as its really going to get?

I'm sorry if that's not enough information or if its scattered, i'm a little upset now... Thank you all soo much for your help...

JETX

Though you may provide the most detailed analysis possible of your situation, there is simply no way that anyone on this forum can advise you as to your best options. That would require a COMPLETE review of ALL the facts. The best advice you can get is..... get your OWN lawyer. That is the ONLY way to have your rights protected.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">