• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

House worthless?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GunNutViktor

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida/Virginia

My soon to be ex-wife and I bought a house when we were stationed in Virginia together; since the title and mortgage are both in my name and she has contributed nothing towards the household financially (she has taken care of our nearly three year old son), is she still entitled to 50% of the equity should I sell the house? If that is the case, it seems as though she gains more than is fair.

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida/Virginia

My soon to be ex-wife and I bought a house when we were stationed in Virginia together; since the title and mortgage are both in my name and she has contributed nothing towards the household financially (she has taken care of our nearly three year old son), is she still entitled to 50% of the equity should I sell the house? If that is the case, it seems as though she gains more than is fair.
She is entitled to 50% of the gain in home equity during the marriage. It doesn't matter if she was the one working, you were the one working, or both of you were working. Your idea of 'fair' happens to be different than every single state law in the country.

ecmst12

Figure out what you would have been paying for child care 40-50 hours per week for the past 3 years and that is the financial contribution she has made to the household.

LdiJ

Figure out what you would have been paying for child care 40-50 hours per week for the past 3 years and that is the financial contribution she has made to the household.
Some other things could probably be thrown in there as well.

Back in the day when I could afford a housekeeper, one of the housekeepers I hired was a neighbor.

She worked in an office before and made a pretty decent wage. She knew I was losing my housekeeper and she did a "cost analysis" and decided that she would actually have significantly MORE disposable income working for me, at 1/3 of the wage she was receiving prior to that. So she made her "pitch" and I hired her.

Daycare, drycleaning, lunch, gasoline, wear and tear on car etc., etc., etc.

She didn't need regular "bennies" from employment because her husband's job provided that, and I provided other "bennies", such as a car to drive during the day, free meals for her and her children at my house, YMCA membership with her and her children added, SAMS Club Membership etc.

Plus, I was perfectly ok with her doing whatever personal business she had to do during the day, as long as she could do it with hauling her children and my child around.

It was a win win for all of us.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">