• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to act during divorce 101

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sx400

NY

...or should I say 'how not to act'.....
I brought this up in another forum with no response. Now I know every situation is different, ie.... child custody, alimony, marital assets are all at stake, and according to the way one conducts him or herself, these things can be jeopardized. As we are all aware, divorce can take sometime, and in many cases when there are many assets/debts involved, a year is not unheard of. So my question is, during the long divorce process, what are some of the guidelines to follow, and for what reason,.... how do these behaviors effect the final outcome of the divorce. For example; Wife has temp phys custody during the divorce proceedings, two days after husband has left the marital home, wife has a boyfriend move in. Can this effect her chances of losing physical custody, or child support for that matter?
Another example; Wife married 25 years, filed for divorce (no kids), husband will not consent, divorce taking a very long time legally, she has been a prisonor in her own home, she is seeking spousal support, she wants to date, but is affraid this will jeopardize her alimony/assets. How is she supposed to act? We're all just trying to do the right thing. Thank You

B

Boxcarbill

The reason that you didn't get an answer is because the question is far too broad to answer on a forum. In each of the particular cases, the litigants would be wise to consult with their individual attorney who knows the facts, the other party, the opposing attorney and the Judge, whom the case is pending before. But generally speaking, it is never wise to throw all judgment and moral restraint to the wind.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">