• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to best set this up

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

illinois

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

Wife and I both work separate jobs. We both make about $60,000 each. Getting a divorce. There is one child. I'm going to increase to $340,000 in 6 months (have contract and very close to signing). She would like to get one lawyer and divide everything equally, joint custody, child will spend equal time with both of us.

2 questions
1. How will my salary change the numbers?
2. If I found out she was cheating(later or even after the divorce), can I sue the guy she was with (kind of proof needed, etc.)? For example, she tells me she did.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

Wife and I both work separate jobs. We both make about $60,000 each. Getting a divorce. There is one child. I'm going to increase to $340,000 in 6 months (have contract and very close to signing). She would like to get one lawyer and divide everything equally, joint custody, child will spend equal time with both of us.

2 questions
1. How will my salary change the numbers?
2. If I found out she was cheating(later or even after the divorce), can I sue the guy she was with (kind of proof needed, etc.)? For example, she tells me she did.
No, you can't sue the guy (you're looking at something akin to "alienation of affection", right?).

You need to sue your wife for divorce.

Proserpina

yes, alienation of affection. It wont work?

thx for the quick reply

While IL does still apparently have such a statute, it is so very rarely prosecuted that the practical result would be that you would spend an awful lot of money and gain nothing in return.

So, perhaps the question is - what do you hope to accomplish?

illinois

well, I think the guy has a family. Don't these things usually get settled out of court (fear of his family finding out, etc.)?

illinois

IL website says "non-custodial parent" pays 20 %. I have no ideal how this applies if you have joint custody.

What does that mean?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">