• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How can I enforce my divorce settlement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mariane

Oregon
My husband and I divorced 3 years ago and both signed the settlement agreement. He was to pay me a sum of money in exchange for his keeping the house. His business later failed, and he lost the house, so I did not insist on his paying, as he had no money. After not making any effort to pay me,, now he wants me to sign a statement saying he does not owe me anything. I have reason to believe that the reason is that he has recently been the beneficiary of a large life insurance policy from a family member, and may benefit from a lawsuit he may file in the near future. How can I find out if he now has the money,and how can I enforce the divorce settlement- is there a statute of limitations on divorce settlements in Oregon? Will the court make him pay my lawyer if I must hire one to enforce the divorce settlement? Or are there some papers I can file myself with the court?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">