• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how can I find help affording an attorney

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tink1971

What is the name of your state? Missouri
I am just at the end of my rope. I guess people who dont have a lot of money are at the mercy of their spouses attorneys..I can not afford an attorney and my husband borrowed money from his dad to get one. He sees her tomorrow the first time. I can't qualify for legal aid in my county because we have a house together. It has to go into foreclosure before they can help or it has to sell.
Im not sure I even need an attorney and if I do then I guess I will have to go without one. All I want to be able to do is get divorced from him and move back to my hometown in Colorado with all of my kids. Only one is his. Can I be forced to stay here even when there is no family for the kids here? And also does anyone know if it matters who files for the divorce? Im sorry for so many different questions. Thank you in advance for a least reading my post.

LdiJ

tink1971 said:
What is the name of your state? Missouri
I am just at the end of my rope. I guess people who dont have a lot of money are at the mercy of their spouses attorneys..I can not afford an attorney and my husband borrowed money from his dad to get one. He sees her tomorrow the first time. I can't qualify for legal aid in my county because we have a house together. It has to go into foreclosure before they can help or it has to sell.
Im not sure I even need an attorney and if I do then I guess I will have to go without one. All I want to be able to do is get divorced from him and move back to my hometown in Colorado with all of my kids. Only one is his. Can I be forced to stay here even when there is no family for the kids here? And also does anyone know if it matters who files for the divorce? Im sorry for so many different questions. Thank you in advance for a least reading my post.
You will need either dad's permission, or the permission of the courts to move dad's child to another state.

You will be entitled to 1/2 of the marital assets....including 1/2 of the equity in the home. This means that you may be able to pay someone back if you can convince someone to lend you the money for an attorney. Talk to your family...find the money somehow. If its absolutely impossible, then start doing some majoring studying on the divorce laws in your state...and the procedures of court so that you can represent yourself.

badd2323

Why do you want to take his child away from him? Wait...let me answer that for you. He is mentally and physically abusive to you, he is a alcoholic, because he is a man and he isn't capable of raising a child. Your child would be better served not having both parents involved in raising them. Last but not least the less he see's his child the more support you will recieve every month.

justalayman

I live near University of Notre Dame. Their law school offers legal aid in certain circumstances. If there is a law school near you, you might contact them to see if they offer some assistance. Worth a shot.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">