• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How can I get my husband out?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gus1339

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

My husband has admitted to and is cheating on me. I am paying all of the mortgage and my name is the only name on the mortgage. His name is on the deed with mine.

He keeps telling me he is going to move out, yet when the time approaches he makes up one excuse after the other. He is MOOCHING. . Going to her house at night and coming home each day!

We really can't afford a divorce, a disillusion would be preferable, but he is unrealistic when it comes to dividing up property. So, if it means I have to sue him for divorce so be it.

What are my legal rights? How can I get him out of the house? He has humiliated me enough.

Thank you.

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

My husband has admitted to and is cheating on me. I am paying all of the mortgage and my name is the only name on the mortgage. His name is on the deed with mine.

He keeps telling me he is going to move out, yet when the time approaches he makes up one excuse after the other. He is MOOCHING. . Going to her house at night and coming home each day!

We really can't afford a divorce, a disillusion would be preferable, but he is unrealistic when it comes to dividing up property. So, if it means I have to sue him for divorce so be it.

What are my legal rights? How can I get him out of the house? He has humiliated me enough.

Thank you.
Sorry to be blunt, but you're going to need to start with an attitude readjustment. It's as much his house as it is yours (except for very unusual circumstances). As long as you're married to him, he has every right to live in the house.

If you want him out, you have to go through the process of filing for and obtaining a divorce. I guess it's possible that you could ask the judge to remove him from the house while the divorce is pending, but that doesn't sound very likely. It happens when there is a danger of physical harm, but I can't imagine a judge making him leave just because you don't want him there.

Meanwhile, it's not your house and you can't control his access to it until the judge says you can.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Sorry to be blunt, but you're going to need to start with an attitude readjustment. It's as much his house as it is yours (except for very unusual circumstances). As long as you're married to him, he has every right to live in the house.

If you want him out, you have to go through the process of filing for and obtaining a divorce. I guess it's possible that you could ask the judge to remove him from the house while the divorce is pending, but that doesn't sound very likely. It happens when there is a danger of physical harm, but I can't imagine a judge making him leave just because you don't want him there.

Meanwhile, it's not your house and you can't control his access to it until the judge says you can.
A couple of corrections Misty, first he is on the deed. So he has a right to live in the house Second, regardless of marriage until there is a court order stating otherwise.
A judge in Ohio will issue temporary orders giving one spouse SOLE POSSESSION of the house during the pendency of the divorce. However this OP needs to realize that she will be buying him out. He is entitled to half the equity in the home.

OP, why is he on the deed and NOT the mortgage? How did a bank approve of that situation? How is he realistic? You each are entitled to half the marital property and half the marital debt. Though if you get the house you get the debt. He is still entitled to half the equity. You are each entitled to half the retirement that has accrued during the marriage and half the bank accounts and other property. What is he asking for?
And the term is dissolution.

gus1339

That's the problem. He ISN'T realistic. I understand he is entitled to half of the equity.... I would be happy to buy him out!! We have been married two years. Bought the home immediatedly after getting married. He has a terrible credit history, so there was no way we could get a loan with his name on it. I make more money than he does and qualified for the loan on my own.

Our real estate agent suggested putting his name on the deed. I never imagined we wouldn't remain married....

He is no longer contributing monetarily to ANYTHING. I realize I am stuck with the mortgage and plan to stay here, not becasue I want to, but becasue the housing market is so depressed, the house will most definitely not sell. You see, we bought a fixer upper. He started about 3 projects NONE of which is finished, so it would probably take around $5,000 to get it ready to even list. Neither of us has that kind of money. He is completely unreasonable and doesn't get that!!!! I would happily come to a 'REALISTIC' agreement on what the house may or may not be worth and buy him out, but he is not REALISTIC. We sat down once and he wanted everything of value. It's like dealing with an adolescent.

He also has a horrible temper. I have tried to avoid him and not push his buttons, as I am afraid of him. He hasn't physically abused me, but he kicked my car door in last week and verbally abuses me.

So, what you are saying, is I have no legal rights. He can live for free as long as he wants and I just have to 'deal with it'.

gus1339

- - He was contributing financially. . .until I caught him cheating. Now, not a cent.

Oh, and thr initial renovation for the 3 projects was funded by a critical care insurance claim. Mine. He spent it all. You see I had cancer. A malignant tumor in my eye. My eye was removed and I am in remission. I just want him out of my life..

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
- - He was contributing financially. . .until I caught him cheating. Now, not a cent.

Oh, and thr initial renovation for the 3 projects was funded by a critical care insurance claim. Mine. He spent it all. You see I had cancer. A malignant tumor in my eye. My eye was removed and I am in remission. I just want him out of my life..
Hire an appraiser to get the current value of the house and the property. That way he cannot argue. It may cost a couple hundred dollars but consider it an investment.

Farfalla

He also has a horrible temper. I have tried to avoid him and not push his buttons, as I am afraid of him. He hasn't physically abused me, but he kicked my car door in last week and verbally abuses me.

So, what you are saying, is I have no legal rights. He can live for free as long as he wants and I just have to 'deal with it'.
You do have rights. But he has right too.

If he is doing things like kicking in your car door than there's a huge problem. Did you call the police? It's a lot easier to get someone removed if they are a danger to you. And if he's doing that he's a danger... the message is "today the car door, tomorrow could be you'.

Did you all the police? The next time he is violent like that call the police. If he shoves you, grabs you, etc. call the police. You have the car door kicked in as evidence that he's violent.

Get photos of the bashed in car door.

Do see an attorney. There are times when a spouse can be ordered out of the house for the safety of the other spouse.

Have you suggested it's ok with you that he moves in with the girlfriend? that he does not need to live in the house to preserve his intersts in it? If she's worth cheating with, she why doesn't he just move in with her?

fre802

1. You may qualify for Ohio Legal Aid. Here is the number:
1.866.LAW.OHIO (1.866.529.6446)
Please inform them of the loss of your eye/cancer when you consult with them, as it may entitle you to further resources as well as being an important factor in the distribution of your property. Even if you don't qualify for legal aid services, they should be able to steer you towards low-cost help.

2. If he has threatened you and you are in fear of him, you qualify for a domestic violence Civil Protection Order(CPO) under Ohio law. Legal Aid can help you with this.

3. He's taken advantage of you from the beginning. It is not wise for you to proceed alone without counsel. You think you cannot afford counsel or a divorce, but the reality is, you cannot afford NOT to.

4. Under Title 31, Chapter 3105.01(C) of the Ohio Code, adultery is grounds for divorce. Start collecting evidence and securing witnesses. Perhaps someone (not you) can follow him and get pictures of him with the other woman?

5. Chapter 3105.171(A)(6)(a)(vi) defines compensation to a spouse for the spouse’s personal injury as Separate Property. And 3105.171(A)(6)(b) states "The commingling of separate property with other property of any type does not destroy the identity of the separate property as separate property, except when the separate property is not traceable." So get your financial records in order to prove you spent your personal injury award on the house. Put them where he can't find and destroy them.

6. 3105.171(B) states, in part, "...the court shall divide the marital and separate property equitably between the spouses, in accordance with this section." That's "equitably," not "equally," as certain pretenders would have you believe. "Equitable" means "fair", not 50-50. With counsel, you have some very good arguments as to what is fair in your situation, including the mortgage in your name, you paying the majority of it, the separate property award you put into improving the real property, and the fact that you may have future health and/or earning problems resulting from the loss of your eye and a possibility of the return of the cancer. Plus many other arguments that will surface once your attorney has the opportunity to interview you. Some questions I can think of offhand, are "who made the down payment on the house? Have you been paying off his debts? Is he spending money on the girlfriend?" And be sure to tell them he is no longer contributing.. Ohio law says in a marriage a spouse has a duty to contribute to the support of the other spouse for necessities including housing. So to answer your question, No, he does not "get to live for free as long as he wants."

7. Another section of 3105.171 states "the holding of title to property by one spouse individually or by both spouses in a form of co-ownership does not determine whether the property is marital property or separate property." Don't just assume he gets half the house equity because pretenders on this thread said so. Many factors weigh into equitable distribution. Again, this is why you need (real) counsel.

8. One last thing. You can get free appraisals from a couple local realtors to get an idea of your home's current fair market value in the early stages of all this. Don't spend money on an appraisor unless/until you have to. And don't assume no one will buy it because it needs fixing up.... you did.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
4. Under Title 31, Chapter 3105.01(C) of the Ohio Code, adultery is grounds for divorce. Start collecting evidence and securing witnesses. Perhaps someone (not you) can follow him and get pictures of him with the other woman?
And quite frankly the courts do not like to rule under adultery if incompatibility works.

5. Chapter 3105.171(A)(6)(a)(vi) defines compensation to a spouse for the spouse’s personal injury as Separate Property. And 3105.171(A)(6)(b) states "The commingling of separate property with other property of any type does not destroy the identity of the separate property as separate property, except when the separate property is not traceable." So get your financial records in order to prove you spent your personal injury award on the house. Put them where he can't find and destroy them.
However the house is jointly owned by both of them. Hence they have been comingled.

6. 3105.171(B) states, in part, "...the court shall divide the marital and separate property equitably between the spouses, in accordance with this section." That's "equitably," not "equally," as certain pretenders would have you believe. "Equitable" means "fair", not 50-50.
If you are referring to me you better shut your mouth. I am well aware of my qualifications as is this site. What are yours? I also am aware of how judges in Ohio rule. What are your qualifications in OHIO courts.

With council, you have some very good arguments as to what is fair in your situation, including the mortgage in your name, you paying the majority of it, the separate property award you put into improving the real property, and the fact that you may have future health and/or earning problems resulting from the loss of your eye and a possibility of the return of the cancer.
Which doesn't matter due to the fact that in Ohio the law also requires spouses to support one another. She took that role.
Plus many other arguments that will surface once your attorney has the opportunity to interview you. Some questions I can think of offhand, are "who made the down payment on the house? Have you been paying off his debts? Is he spending money on the girlfriend?"
Money on the girlfriend could qualify as dissipation.

And be sure to tell them he is no longer contributing.. Ohio law says in a marriage a spouse has a duty to contribute to the support of the other spouse for necessities including housing. So to answer your question, No, he does not "get to live for free as long as he wants."
Keep reading. It also states that if one spouse cannot then the other is to step up.

7. Another section of 3105.171 states "the holding of title to property by one spouse individually or by both spouses in a form of co-ownership does not determine whether the property is marital property or separate property." Don't just assume he gets half the house equity because pretenders on this thread said so. Many factors weigh into equitable distribution. Again, this is why you need (real) council.
He is a JOINT owner of the property. He is on the deed.

8. One last thing. You can get free appraisals from a couple local realtors to get an idea of your home's current fair market value in the early stages of all this. Don't spend money on an appraisor unless/until you have to. And don't assume no one will buy it because it needs fixing up.... you did.
And unless the realtor is a LICENSED appraiser it won't count for crap in court.

mistoffolees

If you are referring to me you better shut your mouth. I am well aware of my qualifications as is this site. What are yours? I also am aware of how judges in Ohio rule. What are your qualifications in OHIO courts.
Considering that he/she refers to an attorney as 'council', I doubt if his/her qualifications are very impressive.

fre802

And quite frankly the courts do not like to rule under adultery if incompatibility works.
Well, duh! Ya think? But if you had paid attention to OP's post, you'd see she said
her spouse is uncooperative. Under Ohio law, incompatibility can be used as a grounds if alleged by one spouse and not denied by the other. You didn’t know your state code says the other party has to agree to incompatibility grounds? Hello? He's uncooperative and manipulative. You'd just assume he'd agree to sign off on incompatibility when he won't sign off on the cheaper, easier, faster dissolution? Any attorney would tell her to gather evidence to support the adultery allegations she expressed in her posts here. If she doesn't need it, great. But if he says he will deny the incompatibility grounds and she failed to get evidence of the adultery, then she's back to square one and at his mercy. With evidence, she has leverage to get him to agree to the easier route. If he still refuses, she still has grounds.

However the house is jointly owned by both of them. Hence they have been comingled.
Oh geeze. Please read the passage again. Never mind, I'd better explain it to you. She commingled her separate property (her injury compensation) with the marital property (the house). You'd shout, "commingled! You lost it!" But I found the code section that states (pay attention, here's the part you missed) "...commingling.....does not destroy the identity of the separate property as separate property, except when the separate property is not traceable." Hence I told her to gather her financial records, so the money trail can be traced and the injury compensation can retain its separate property status.

Which doesn't matter due to the fact that in Ohio the law also requires spouses to support one another. She took that role.
Yes, you just learned that from me. Well, you learned the words but not the meaning. "Spouses" are people who are married to each other. During the marriage they are required to support each other in regard to necessities. That's not the right argument to make concerning division of assets during divorce. It's cute how you are taking my lessons and trying to repeat them but you need to get it right. I also noticed your comments on "possession" in this thread after I taught it to you yesterday.

Money on the girlfriend could qualify as dissipation.
Good girl, you read my words carefully and figured out that's why I asked her the question. I'm seeing improvement!

Me: And be sure to tell them he is no longer contributing.. Ohio law says in a marriage a spouse has a duty to contribute to the support of the other spouse for necessities including housing. So to answer your question, No, he does not "get to live for free as long as he wants."

You: Keep reading. It also states that if one spouse cannot then the other is to step up.
Oh dear! You're backsliding! This is the passage you tried to use regarding dividing assets, and I told you that you learned it from my comments on support during the duration of the marriage. Let's review. She did not say he "could not" contribute, she said he "would not" contribute. Let's hope she gets an attorney who understands that should be brought to the court's attention.

He is a JOINT owner of the property. He is on the deed.
Yes he is. And did you read what Ohio code says about that? When it comes to division of property in a divorce, they don't care if he is or isn't on the deed. The court will look at all the facts and evidence the attorneys present, and divide all the property fairly. A good attorney will argue her tushie off with the reasons a larger portion of that equity should go to her client. A poor one will simply tell her client "he's on the deed, he gets half the value."

And unless the realtor is a LICENSED appraiser it won't count for crap in court.
Again with the reading comprehension problems. *Sigh.* Saying, "get free appraisals to get an idea of the value, and don't spend the money unless/until you have to" is not synonymous with "take a free realtor appraisal to court." She doesn't have much money. She can get an idea of the house value right now for free. This will aid her when talking to an attorney and deciding the course of action. The official appraisal can be done later when it's necessary.

I also am aware of how judges in Ohio rule.
Well, sure, if you start off with a conclusory attitude that your own client has no case, instead of vigorously advocating for them, what do you expect your judges to do? If you misinterpret your own code to mean assets are split 50-50 in all circumstances, and that’s what you ask for, that’s what you’ll get. I see I’m going to need a “duh” emoticon.

Last but not least:
you better shut your mouth
How professional! Did you do the head roll and finger snap when you typed that? I realize you’re embarrassed, but you bring it on yourself. I wouldn’t have to correct you if you didn’t try to erroneously correct me. I could almost hear the pity-pat of your Mary Janes as you scurried up to my post to proclaim your superiority because you reside in Ohio. That’s why I bothered to post snippets of Ohio code to support my statements. Your actions were anticipated. It’s tedious having to explain everything to you twice, and disruptive to the thread, but I do understand exactly what you're up to.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Get over yourself. You haven't a clue about me. YOu also dont comprehend what I am saying. And again what are your qualifications?

Bloopy

OhioGAL is not some girl from Ohio, she is an attorney and serves as a Guardian Ad Litem. She earned her jurdis doctorate in Ohio and has been practicing there ever since.

She is acutely aware of the procedures and nuances that make each county in Ohio differ. She is also aware of the tone of many judges. She is an excellent and successful litigator. No one here can back you up.

Any prick lawyer can promise anything to a client as he/she collects fees. I’ve seen lawyers literally stopping in court as if they were in a John Grishom movie. However, if their client’s demands are ridiculous, it won’t go unnoticed by the judge.

Using divorce proceedings as a witch-hunt from the start, when the court prefers a more amicable course, often makes a “victim” appear as a vindictive aggressor. Understanding the law AND nuances of application, rather than literal regurgitation, is what is most helpful in an attorney.

I would prefer a lawyer who is upfront with me about the aspect of my case that work, and which may be even harmful to my case. Why bother hiring an attorney who only placates me but doesn’t advise me in a prudent course of action.

ohio71

Fre802-Thank you for posting actual legal advice along with the code. I live in Ohio and wasn't aware what the code actually said about separate property. I printed it out in case I need it in the future.

And, thanks for making me laugh. That was very funny.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">