• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How can I tell if the divorce is final?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

IsItOverYet

What is the name of your state? CA
I was served papers, I signed them (years ago). Then I was told the divorce was on hold because of child issues, those are now complete. Today I have no clue if the divorce is final. I was sent more papers a couple of months ago to sign agreeing we have no property that needs to be divided. That was the last time I received or heard anything on the matter. I called the court house that the papers were filed through and they actually told me they didn't know. Now what?

Silverplum

What is the name of your state? CA
I was served papers, I signed them (years ago). Then I was told the divorce was on hold because of child issues, those are now complete. Today I have no clue if the divorce is final. I was sent more papers a couple of months ago to sign agreeing we have no property that needs to be divided. That was the last time I received or heard anything on the matter. I called the court house that the papers were filed through and they actually told me they didn't know. Now what?
I take it you didn't have an attorney? Did you X? If so, call his/her office and ask.

Call the court house again. Ask again. Go there in person. Ask again.

You're SUPPOSED to receive a complete signed/stamped set in the mail. Did you move far far away??

IsItOverYet

I haven't moved far away, in fact my ex always has my address... I make sure of that. My child support papers still get to me just fine. No, I did not have a lawyer (can't afford it) my ex does, I will try to find out who that is and contact him.

seniorjudge

Don't ask your ex anything.

...Call the court house again. Ask again. Go there in person. Ask again....

Follow SP's advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">