• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How can we get married?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sasha0414

I am a U.S. Citizen, living in Ohio. My boyfriend is an Indonesian citizen living in the U.S. With a work visa. He was previously married in his home country to an Indonesian woman. I know that he must be legally divorced before we can marry. Must he go home to file for a divorce or is it possible to file here in the states?

Just Blue

I am a U.S. Citizen, living in Ohio. My boyfriend is an Indonesian citizen living in the U.S. With a work visa. He was previously married in his home country to an Indonesian woman. I know that he must be legally divorced before we can marry. Must he go home to file for a divorce or is it possible to file here in the states?
Wow. Yes. He must deal wit his current marital issues in the country of origin before he remarries.

Non legal comment. Don't be dumb. He has a wife in another country and he is here on "work visa". And now he is willing to abandon this woman to marry you...to me this screams USER. IMHO within 2 weeks of him getting his citizenship he will file for divorce and either bring his ex-wife into this country or the mistress he has over there. Be careful.:(

Proserpina

Wow. Yes. He must deal wit his current marital issues in the country of origin before he remarries.

Non legal comment. Don't be dumb. He has a wife in another country and he is here on "work visa". And now he is willing to abandon this woman to marry you...to me this screams USER. IMHO within 2 weeks of him getting his citizenship he will file for divorce and either bring his ex-wife into this country or the mistress he has over there. Be careful.:(
Ordinarily I'd agree but in this case he doesn't need the OP - he's here on a work visa and the majority of those allow for permanent residency and eventual citizenship themselves, without ever needing a spouse sponsor. Heck the only real difference is that the time from PR to Citizen is a couple of years longer than if it was via a spousal visa.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Why do you think he cannot get a divorce in the US?

Sasha0414

i appreciate the concern, honestly. I was concerned myself but he has been living here for quite some time, over 10 years. He doesn't need me to be here, and has no interest in becoming a citizen, just residency, just working til retirement then going home. He hasn't divorced yet because of the stigma it carries in his country and also because he doesn't want to go home just for that reason and go through the trouble to come back here to finish working.

Sasha0414

Guess I should also include that we have been together for more than 4 years, each of us has a child from a previous relationship. (Neither children were the product of a marriage). His child lives here in Ohio and the mother is an American citizen. So to me, it seems that his previous marriage in his home country was over way before he met me.. still on guard and being careful, just looking for some info! Thanks!

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
If it's important to him, he will figure out how to get it done. If it's not? ...... Run.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">