• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How complicated is a divorce?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Holisticmama

Florida

My son was married in August. There has been emotional and physical abuse in this situation and he almost had her arrested for this in November. Rather, he's simply not lived with her since then. I've emotionally supported them both and tried to get them to work things out. But he's finally given up. They have been a couple since they were teens.

He wants a divorce. I say it's pretty cut and dry. He has nothing. She has nothing. (they are 22 and 19) He lives at his father's now. She lives at her mother'. My son fears that the mother-in-law, who has made his life hell for a year, constantly and consistently inciting her daughter's fits of rage, will use this as a way to try and sue him for something--anything... through the daughter.

If they both have nothing. Is there anything they can do to make this a hellacious process or is it pretty "cut and dry"?

Last edited:

Proserpina

Florida

My son was married in August. There has been emotional and physical abuse in this situation and he almost had her arrested for this in November. Rather, he's simply not lived with her since then. I've emotionally supported them both and tried to get them to work things out. But he's finally given up. They have been a couple since they were teens.

He wants a divorce. I say it's pretty cut and dry. He has nothing. She has nothing. (they are 22 and 19) He lives at his father's now. She lives at her mother'. My son fears that the mother-in-law, who has made his life hell for a year, constantly and consistently, will use this as a way to try and sue him for something--anything... through the daughter.

If they both have nothing. Is there anything they can do to make this a hellacious process or is it pretty "cut and dry"?

Sounds pretty cut and dried to me.

Your son should just go ahead and file.

Gracie3787

Florida

He wants a divorce. I say it's pretty cut and dry. He has nothing. She has nothing. (they are 22 and 19) He lives at his father's now. She lives at her mother'. My son fears that the mother-in-law, who has made his life hell for a year, constantly and consistently inciting her daughter's fits of rage, will use this as a way to try and sue him for something--anything... through the daughter.

As long as there are no children and no property, he should go ahead and file.

He won't need an attorney, he can file pro-se. Here are some links that will help him:

Forms and other info: Florida State Courts

Laws in chapter 61 of the statutes: Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : flsenate.gov

Florida Rules of Civil Procedure: FLORIDA RULES OF CIVIL PROCEDURE

Florida Family Law Rules: Florida Family Law Rules

The MIL won't be a party to the case so she cannot be involved. as for her talking her daughter into causing problems, it was a sort marriage with no children and no property so there really isn't too many problems she can cause. If for some reason his wife tries, he can get a consult with a local attorney for advice by calling the Florida Bar Lawyer Referral Service at 1-800-342-8011.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">