• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how to deal with "Defective Papers" ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kirinli

Background:
a) Case type : Uncontested Martimonial
b)File by my lawer in NY court and on April 06, I searched my case which giving the following outcome :

Appearance Information:
1. Appearance Date: 03/24/2010
2. On For: Supreme Initial (first time on)
3. Appearance Outcome : Defective Papers
4. Justice /Part: IAS UMAT 87
5. Comments 3/5/10

I called my lawyer , he told me he never receive any notice about my case however, he should have the notice on 03/24 right? I feel he could not promptly deal my case any more , my questions are :

1: can I go to court to pick up the list of defective paper( to get what is missing and wrong ) by myself?
2, I want to finishe my case quickly, what should I do next if my lawyer did not prioritize my case ?

thanks very much for any suggestionsWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

You Are Guilty

I don't know "UMAT Part 87", but there is a Part 87 in Manhattan Supreme Court run by Referee Nick Doyle - is that where your case is filed?

If so, yes, you can go down to the record room in the courthouse and sign out your file so you can copy whatever documents are in it. (You will need photo proof of identity before they will release the file to you).

Your second question is impossible to answer until we know what was wrong with the papers that were filed.

kirinli

thanks, can I delegate my friend to pick up the document?

first let me express my appriciation for your help, another quesiton:

I just want it quickly to get the answer, but I had no time to pick up this week , can I delegate one of my friends to pick up for me with my authorization note?

I don't know "UMAT Part 87", but there is a Part 87 in Manhattan Supreme Court run by Referee Nick Doyle - is that where your case is filed?

If so, yes, you can go down to the record room in the courthouse and sign out your file so you can copy whatever documents are in it. (You will need photo proof of identity before they will release the file to you).

Your second question is impossible to answer until we know what was wrong with the papers that were filed.

You Are Guilty

I don't do any matrimonial work, so my knowledge of the record room rules is merely by overhearing others speaking. It is my understanding that the court will not release a divorce case file to anyone other than a named party or their counsel of record. But why not go to the source and ask them directly? There may be a form they would let you use.

Supreme Court Records (Migdalia Ruiz) 646-386-5942

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">