• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to disown a parent?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Antigone*

Hi MrOutcast, I will post something and I will not be rude. I am not sure why posters cannot just give advice and leave their moral outrage at home.

I applaud you that you want to go to college because, as a 50 yr looking in, most of the 18-23 yrs olds I know just sit at home.

I too went thru what you did. I was living with my dad and he refused to give Financial Aid his tax return information for selfish reasons. I was on my own. My mom had already passed away. Fortunatly for me, in those days Junior college was very inexpensive. I ended up with a part-time job, going to school and living on my own. But again it was easier then.

I suggest you: 1st go to a community college where rates are cheaper. You can usually get a fee waiver and it is Self-Certification. That means you don't need any documentation for the information you put down. Put down 0 income since that is the truth.

Once you start college, do very well and you can apply for scholarships and alot of them don't even have to be academic. I got one from the Single Parent Association for being a single parent. Also scholarships are provided to minorities.

Get a job, even a small one. Save up to finish your degree at a 4yr institution. By then you will be 25?

Good luck I hope this helps

Really, you have to resurrect a dead thread???:rolleyes:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hi MrOutcast, I will post something and I will not be rude. I am not sure why posters cannot just give advice and leave their moral outrage at home.

I applaud you that you want to go to college because, as a 50 yr looking in, most of the 18-23 yrs olds I know just sit at home.

I too went thru what you did. I was living with my dad and he refused to give Financial Aid his tax return information for selfish reasons. I was on my own. My mom had already passed away. Fortunatly for me, in those days Junior college was very inexpensive. I ended up with a part-time job, going to school and living on my own. But again it was easier then.

I suggest you: 1st go to a community college where rates are cheaper. You can usually get a fee waiver and it is Self-Certification. That means you don't need any documentation for the information you put down. Put down 0 income since that is the truth.

Once you start college, do very well and you can apply for scholarships and alot of them don't even have to be academic. I got one from the Single Parent Association for being a single parent. Also scholarships are provided to minorities. Get a book loan if they still have those. I got one.

Get a job, even a small one. Save up to finish your degree at a 4yr institution. By then you will be 25?

Good luck I hope this helps
Why are you encouraging the necroposting hijacker? :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">