• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to divorce if married on New York but living outside of USA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

victor8686

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

My sister married on 2002 in New York and wants to divorce now, but she is living in Costa Rica. She is Costa Rican, and its finding a way to divorce without having to travel to US. Both my sister and husband are currently located in Costa Rica.

Thanks for any help

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

My sister married on 2002 in New York and wants to divorce now, but she is living in Costa Rica. She is Costa Rican, and its finding a way to divorce without having to travel to US. Both my sister and husband are currently located in Costa Rica.

Thanks for any help
She should talk to an attorney in Costa Rica. There is no reason why she would have to divorce in the US just because that is where she was married.

victor8686

She should talk to an attorney in Costa Rica. There is no reason why she would have to divorce in the US just because that is where she was married.

That is part of the problem, the marriage is not registered in Costa Rica.

LdiJ

That is part of the problem, the marriage is not registered in Costa Rica.
Look, I do not know the laws of Costa Rica, but in most countries a legal marriage is recognized no matter which country it was performed in, and it is not necessary to be registered in the new country.

Therefore, she needs to speak to an attorney in Costa Rica.

victor8686

Look, I do not know the laws of Costa Rica, but in most countries a legal marriage is recognized no matter which country it was performed in, and it is not necessary to be registered in the new country.

Therefore, she needs to speak to an attorney in Costa Rica.

Thanks, Ill let her know right now :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">