• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I Collect Divorce Settlement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sponge

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Indiana

My divorce has recently been completed after a very long 7 years. All marital assets have been accounted for and have been assigned in the final judgment.
There are several accounts in my former spouse's name at brokerage houses, banks, etc. that have been awarded to me in the settlement. My question is how do I go about collecting the assets within these accounts? Specifically what prevents my former spouse from never voluntarily transferring the funds? Within the judgment I saw no timeframe for asset distribution or penalties. Also, can I go to the institutions that hold the accounts directly and petition them to transfer the assets since I have a legal judgment that gives me ownership of them?

Thank You for your help.

penelope10

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Indiana

My divorce has recently been completed after a very long 7 years. All marital assets have been accounted for and have been assigned in the final judgment.
There are several accounts in my former spouse's name at brokerage houses, banks, etc. that have been awarded to me in the settlement. My question is how do I go about collecting the assets within these accounts? Specifically what prevents my former spouse from never voluntarily transferring the funds? Within the judgment I saw no timeframe for asset distribution or penalties. Also, can I go to the institutions that hold the accounts directly and petition them to transfer the assets since I have a legal judgment that gives me ownership of them?

Thank You for your help.
When my ex and I divorced I was awarded a 401K. I simply called the institution and they told me exactly what to do regarding having a name change done on the account. (I sent a certified copy of the decree and earmarked the page showing that I had been awarded the account).

Different institutions may have different rules in regards to transfering assets. Contact these institution and find out what paperwork they will need to start and complete the process.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">