• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how do i enforce a divorce decree?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

needhelpaz3

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? arizona

i got divorced almost 2 years ago in arizona which is a community property state. in our decree it states that we are both responsible for any debt acquired during the marriage. i have student loans which i applied for and received while we were married that i make monthly payments on now. but i haven't received any money or contributions from my ex to pay these loans off. is there a statute of limitations on enforcing a decree? do i have the right to take them back to court, if so, what do i need to do? thanks.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Good Lord, I hopes he fights you on that! Why should HE pay for YOUR education?

LdiJ

Good Lord, I hopes he fights you on that! Why should HE pay for YOUR education?
While I agree morally (assuming that he did not also benefit from the education), if the divorce decree orders him to share in that debt, there is no fighting it now, two years later.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">