• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I file for divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dplove

What is the name of your state? IN

I'm want to file for a divorce and my husband and I have 1 child that is 18 yrs old. Would I still file with children or can I file without children?

If I have to file with children there would be no child support on his because of his age.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? IN

I'm want to file for a divorce and my husband and I have 1 child that is 18 yrs old. Would I still file with children or can I file without children?

If I have to file with children there would be no child support on his because of his age.
Actually, child support in IN goes to age 21 or emancipation, whichever comes first. Therefore if your 18 year old is not emancipated (married, in the military, living on his/her own fully supporting his/herself, not in school) then you would need to file "with children".

quincy

I recommend filing with children. Usually a parent must help support his/her child until the child reaches the age of majority, however it can sometimes be longer if there are college expenses or if the child has special needs or if medical coverage is required.

dplove

My child is no longer in school and has a full time job. Do I have to file with children in this case?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">