• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I get my ex out of my house?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

barbperlman@gma

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Dugage County Illinois

I let my ex-husband move back in with me and it has been a big mistake. I took him to court in June and we have an agreed order signed by the judge that he would move out by June 30. Well my ex begged me not to make him leave his kids and promised to help with the expenses. Since June he has only contributed about $150 toward household bills and I told him I want him out. He said, not unless the judge makes me.

I called my attorney and he said to go back with an order to show cause that it would be another $500 and the judge would question why I let him stay for so long.

I can't afford the attorney to take him back to court. How do I do this on my own?

mistoffolees

I let my ex-husband move back in with me and it has been a big mistake. I took him to court in June and we have an agreed order signed by the judge that he would move out by June 30. Well my ex begged me not to make him leave his kids and promised to help with the expenses. Since June he has only contributed about $150 toward household bills and I told him I want him out. He said, not unless the judge makes me.

I called my attorney and he said to go back with an order to show cause that it would be another $500 and the judge would question why I let him stay for so long.

I can't afford the attorney to take him back to court. How do I do this on my own?
You could file an order for contempt on your own, but you might be better off simply paying the attorney $500. If you really want to do it on your own, ask your court clerk for the forms and spend a lot of time reading up on the procedures for your location.

LdiJ

Since you are divorced, and you were awarded the home, you could go through the formal process of eviction to get him out. That is usually less cumbersome than family law court and would guarantee a more final result.

Even if the family law judge ordered him out, if he didn't get out you would still have to go through the eviction process. In fact, the judge already ordered him out when the judge signed off on your agreement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">