• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I get spouse removed from my house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Alicia20

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I've been married for 5 months and recently filed for divorce. My wife was served last week. I've owned the home for 12 years and had a prenupt before getting married. She doesnt want a divorce and doesn't want to move, she has yet to file her reponse, how can I get her removed (legally). I've offerred to pay for her relocation and down payment but that's not going to work. What and when do I need to do in order to get her out of the house?

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I've been married for 5 months and recently filed for divorce. My wife was served last week. I've owned the home for 12 years and had a prenupt before getting married. She doesnt want a divorce and doesn't want to move, she has yet to file her reponse, how can I get her removed (legally). I've offerred to pay for her relocation and down payment but that's not going to work. What and when do I need to do in order to get her out of the house?
You will have to wait for the court to order her out. She has a right to stay in the MARITAL residence until a court states otherwise.

mistoffolees

You will have to wait for the court to order her out. She has a right to stay in the MARITAL residence until a court states otherwise.
But the court won't order her to leave until OP requests it. So after filing for divorce, OP needs to request temporary possession of the residence. Given the facts as stated, that should be awarded.

Just Blue

What do you mean by "OP"? Could you give me a summary of what needs to take place?
OP = Original Poster = You.

File for divorce. Request in your motion retention of the marital property. Once you have the order, your wife will have to move. Do not engage in arguments with the ex during her residency.

Alicia20

Yup**************:)
If she was served on April 24th, how soon could I go to court to get temporary possession and how quickly would it possibly be given?

Also, how is the house considered marital property when I have owned it years before we got together and we have a prenuptial declaring that the property is soley mine?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Also, how is the house considered marital property when I have owned it years before we got together and we have a prenuptial declaring that the property is soley mine?
It is not marital property (Blue Meanie mistyped/misspoke). It is the marital residence (ie: where you have lived during marriage)

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
If she was served on April 24th, how soon could I go to court to get temporary possession and how quickly would it possibly be given?

How quickly can you file a motion requesting temporary sole possession of the marital home, schedule a hearing, attend said hearing and prove your case as to why you should get it?

And why is your name Alicia if you are male?

Alicia20

How quickly can you file a motion requesting temporary sole possession of the marital home, schedule a hearing, attend said hearing and prove your case as to why you should get it?

And why is your name Alicia if you are male?
I was in a hurry when I first signed up, I will change my name to something more manly and becoming of my true self...not my daughters name and age.

Also, is there a special motion form that I should file?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I was in a hurry when I first signed up, I will change my name to something more manly and becoming of my true self...not my daughters name and age.

Also, is there a special motion form that I should file?
There is not a form for everything. You may have to write the actual motion.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">