• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I know if I'm divorced?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cay22

I got married in Texas about 9 months ago. I left the country about two months ago and my husband claims that we are divorced. I have signed nothing and I don't know much about the annulment laws in Texas. I don't remember the courthouse in which we got married and I have none of the marriage documentation. I have absolutely no idea how to figure out whether or not we are divorced.

Proserpina

I got married in Texas about 9 months ago. I left the country about two months ago and my husband claims that we are divorced. I have signed nothing and I don't know much about the annulment laws in Texas. I don't remember the courthouse in which we got married and I have none of the marriage documentation. I have absolutely no idea how to figure out whether or not we are divorced.

Married 9 months...divorced in - according to the husband - 2 months....nope, I'd go with "no" on that one.

There are only so many courthouses in the county. Call 'em. Go online, see if they have any record.

Or, call him and ask him.

I'd be comfortable though, with "No, not divorced".

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Married 9 months...divorced in - according to the husband - 2 months....nope, I'd go with "no" on that one.

There are only so many courthouses in the county. Call 'em. Go online, see if they have any record.

It is POSSIBLE that it could have happened. Probable? No. But possible if there was proof of service, she never responded and there is not a lot of property or children. It is possible. It would be extremely quick. But yeah, could have happened. (Oh and some counties have only one courthouse that handles DR).

justtooknotes

You are correct, I took the time to look at it in Texas.
It does seem like a very complicated process that the poster could only know.

Last edited by a moderator:

BL

Did you all skip n Jump too , Mother Mary May I . or hop scotch ?

I left the country about two months ago

Last edited:

Proserpina

Did you all skip n Jump too , Mother Mary May I . or hop scotch ?

Thou shalt ready ready before posty posty.

Hence:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">