• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I protect my assets?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tjclipson

Minnesota: My wife left after 29 years of marriage, and is threatening with divorce. No legal separation has yet occurred, and no divorce papers have yet been served. Can I transfer all my household and garage assets to a friend, for example, and rent them?

D

dorenephilpot

No. The court will hammer you for that because it will look like you tried to cheat your wife out of her part of the marital pot.

File a petition for dissolution and request a mutual restraining order, barring both of you from dissipating marital assets.

vrzirn

That is big-time no-no! You keep everything neat and clean and equitable. My ex did that naughty thing and got smashed flat by the judge.He also ruled that although no separation papers were filed, we were separated from the day husband left the family home. So you make sure your wife gets her fair share and don't be sneaking around trying to hide her piece of assets in a garage.
And as an aside, let me also assure you that if you try to file BK to escape paying debts you owe your wife they are NOT discharged in the BK.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">