• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I prove he mismanaged all the funds

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

womanprovider

What is the name of your state? FL
For our entire marriage my husband was in charge of the finances. We have a business together and he handled all of those finances as well. He is divorcing me now and the money is gone that was awarded me for future pain and suffering and future lost wages. When he left his job all of the money from his retirement went into a protected retirement account for him. Could I recover the future pain and suffering and future lost wages from his retirement accounts? I now understand how ignorant I was to sign paychecks and refinance applications etc. Is this a huge financial lesson for me?

cyana24

Unfortunately, you may need to hire both an attorney as previously advised and a Forensic Account to go over both your business records and your soon-to-ex's financial records. The "court" probably has the authority to compel a full financial discovery/disclosure which can be turned over to the forensic accountant. Of course, your attorney can also demand a full accounting as part of "discovery process" for the property settlement but don't count on your ex to fully comply.

Been there, done that, and got screwed because I didn't have the money for a forensic accountant. My ex and I ran a business together, too, for the last few years of our marriage.

And yes, this is a financial lesson but I'm sure that you're already beating yourself up enough about this.

Sorry for your accident.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">