• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I reinstate my divorce?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lolamorena

Texas,

i filed for divorce with two kids seeking sole custody, not seeking child support. My case was dismissed saying 1- it contains errors that cannot be corrected in the document, 2-There is no proof (or statement, I still dont understand) that I am not pregnant at the filing and 3- I did not attach the withholding sheet. I dont understand if item number 1 refers to items 2 and 3 and also I need to file a motion to reinstate and dont know if to say in the motion that there were errors in the primary document and i wish to reinstate the case providing the missing items.

ThanksWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

mistoffolees

Texas,

i filed for divorce with two kids seeking sole custody, not seeking child support. My case was dismissed saying 1- it contains errors that cannot be corrected in the document, 2-There is no proof (or statement, I still dont understand) that I am not pregnant at the filing and 3- I did not attach the withholding sheet. I dont understand if item number 1 refers to items 2 and 3 and also I need to file a motion to reinstate and dont know if to say in the motion that there were errors in the primary document and i wish to reinstate the case providing the missing items.

ThanksWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
You don't understand whether it's asking for proof that you're not pregnant or just a simple statement to that effect?

Get an attorney. This is obviously not something you want to do on your own.

lolamorena

Thanks,

You don't understand whether it's asking for proof that you're not pregnant or just a simple statement to that effect?

Get an attorney. This is obviously not something you want to do on your own.
But I cannot afford a lawyer, that's why I am posting here, I really appreciate the replies, but "find an attorney" is not the guidance I am looking for.

Lola

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
But I cannot afford a lawyer, that's why I am posting here, I really appreciate the replies, but "find an attorney" is not the guidance I am looking for.

Lola
Start by reading the local rules, the rules of civil procedure and the rules of evidence. You will have to refile your divorce. But if you cannot file a proper complaint you are going to have issues. You might try legal aid.

vijendrasnv

Hi,

The solution to the first problem is simple that you must edit your document.

The second point is not clear that why should they are asking about your pregnancy?

Thanks.

mistoffolees

Lola
There are 3 options:

1. Hire an attorney.

2. Don't hire an attorney - and mess it up.

3. Spend a great deal of time learning the specific rules of evidence, court procedures, divorce law, etc, etc, etc and then file it yourself. If you really want to go their route, plan to spend an enormous amount of time reading and learning.

While court documents are sometimes confusing, I doubt that the statement about pregnancy is all that unclear. They either want a statement that you're not pregnant or proof that you're not pregnant according to your first post. If you can't figure out which one they're asking for, I would strongly encourage you to get a second job to pay for an attorney or see if you can get pro bono help.

lolamorena

Right....

Pro bono, legal aid, so happens I am in the hole between making "too much money" for legal aid but "too little" for an attorney. I am willing to learn, I am willing to read, and that's why I am trying to reach out to "professionals" out here, I just cant find them...
I just need guidance, from someone who knows what these terms mean, and once I understand I can look for the documents and draft them. I am not stupid, if I pointed out I do not know what they mean by either proof or a statement of me not being pregnant is because is not clear, they just give out a sheet telling very vaguely what the issues with your document are.
Thanks very much for everyone's input. I just wish someone could have come up with something else.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Pro bono, legal aid, so happens I am in the hole between making "too much money" for legal aid but "too little" for an attorney. I am willing to learn, I am willing to read, and that's why I am trying to reach out to "professionals" out here, I just cant find them...
I just need guidance, from someone who knows what these terms mean, and once I understand I can look for the documents and draft them. I am not stupid, if I pointed out I do not know what they mean by either proof or a statement of me not being pregnant is because is not clear, they just give out a sheet telling very vaguely what the issues with your document are.
Thanks very much for everyone's input. I just wish someone could have come up with something else.
Read what I told you to read.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Hi,

The solution to the first problem is simple that you must edit your document.

The second point is not clear that why should they are asking about your pregnancy?

Thanks.
Don't answer any questions since you have no clue. Pregnant women are NOT granted divorces as a common rule.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">