• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I stop divorce precedings?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

windy1

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Illinois
I filed for a divorce on Nov. 5, ’04. Our last court date was Dec. 14, a Temp. Order for child support/rights to marital property was filed. That is the last time I was able to speak to my lawyer. He does not return phone calls, e-mails ect. In the meantime, my husband and I agreed on our own visitation schedule for our 3 children ages 14, 14 and 8. We amicably dealt w/2 holidays, x-mas vacation, 2 birthdays and have started counseling as a couple to work out our differences. Since I was not able to communicate with my lawyer, he went ahead and filed 24 interrogatories (I only know this because my husband showed me the correspondence from his lawyer, which also stated that we have a court date Mar. 1.) Via his voicemail, I let my lawyer know that I would no longer need his services.

My question is this; how do I stop this divorce? Do I need to get another lawyer to do this? Neither my husband nor I want to continue with this. His lawyer is telling him that we must go to court on Mar. 1, all of the interrogatories must be answered by Feb. 28, and that we should keep our case in court until Nov. 5 in case we do not work things out. We understand that lawyers are there to look out for our legal interests however; at this point, we are both thinking that they are not listening to what it is that we want. Can I write a letter to the judge stating that I (we) wish to stop the divorce? Help!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">