• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to fire an attorney?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sandstone

What is the name of your state? PA
I hope I don't offend anyone out there, but how do you legally fire an attorney? I know I can say your fired and that's it. But, I want to do it in legal jargan. From the beginning I have been having problems with him, now he is lying about things. I have all the paperwork to prove he's lying. This is why I want to do it properly. Is there something special form to fill out that states the reason he is being fired, so on down the road it covers my end?

Thank you,
sandstone

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

sandstone said:
What is the name of your state? PA
I hope I don't offend anyone out there, but how do you legally fire an attorney? I know I can say your fired and that's it. But, I want to do it in legal jargan. From the beginning I have been having problems with him, now he is lying about things. I have all the paperwork to prove he's lying. This is why I want to do it properly. Is there something special form to fill out that states the reason he is being fired, so on down the road it covers my end?

Thank you,
sandstone

My response:

There is no "legal jargon" to use when firing your attorney. Like you said, saying "You're fired" is good enough. You may also file a complaint with the State Bar of PA if you feel he has lied to you, and can prove your allegations. The State Bar will take care of him for you.

In your letter to him, you'll also say that you want all work on your file to immediately cease, and that you want a refund of all unused retainer fees. You'll also request your ORIGINAL file be delivered to you, along with a "Substitution of Attorney" form for you and he to sign, and that you'll file it with the court.

IAAL

S

sandstone

Thank you IAAL

Thank you I am always liable. I have already inquired about reporting him to the Bar. The PA Bar has told me they don't handle such reports and to file a complaint to the disciplinary committee. And yes, I will do so. A few questions on your response to my first post. The Substitution of Attorney form, I'm pretty sure I don't, but do I have to wait until this form is filled out before an attorney will take my case? Also, whenever I file the form with the court, I can only file it in Pa court, correct? I have since moved to Florida and it would be nice if I could do it here.
Again thank you
sandstone

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Until jurisdiction over the case is transferred to FL, PA is where everything has to be done. If you have another attorney (in PA), s/he can contact your previous attorney and deal with the Substitution of Attorney form as well as getting your file.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">