• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how to get an annulment under fraud if my spouse left the country ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

annulquest

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
CALIFORNIA

Hi everyone, I need to get an annulment under fraud, my spouse wanted to get a greencard only and left when I found out....
so she's back in her country and I'm legally married.
can I legally get an annulment under these circumstances ?

thanks!

Proserpina

CALIFORNIA

Hi everyone, I need to get an annulment under fraud, my spouse wanted to get a greencard only and left when I found out....

thanks!

If you give us a timeline that will probably give a better idea of your options :)

When did you marry?

Did you file anything?

When did she leave?

single317dad

CALIFORNIA

thanks!
According to the CA courts' website, green card fraud is specifically allowed as grounds for annulment. You have 4 years from the date you discovered the fraud to file.

http://www.courts.ca.gov/1037.htm

Fraud: Either party got married or registered the domestic partnership as a result of fraud. The fraud must have been about something vital to the relationship that directly affected why the party who was deceived agreed to the marriage or domestic partnership. Some examples are marrying only to get a green card or hiding the inability to have children.
Fraud: An annulment on grounds of fraud can only be filed by the person who was deceived. It must be filed within 4 years of discovering the fraud.
It is interesting, however, that the party married for their green card then left the country. That would seem to argue against that being the sole reason for marriage.

OHRoadwarrior

Make sure to call USCIS and advise they abandoned the marriage and went home. This should void their paperwork and the affidavit of support after it is successfully processed.

Bali Hai

According to the CA courts' website, green card fraud is specifically allowed as grounds for annulment. You have 4 years from the date you discovered the fraud to file.

http://www.courts.ca.gov/1037.htm

It is interesting, however, that the party married for their green card then left the country. That would seem to argue against that being the sole reason for marriage.
We are only being told what OP wants us to know. Surely the wife didn't admit to OP she only married for a green card. She could have made that admission anytime before the marriage.

Proserpina

Green card fraud is evidently not the issue here - given that she's gone home, and she has done so before anything was filed.

OP told us that nothing had been filed. Nothing filed = nothing to withdraw.

LdiJ

Green card fraud is evidently not the issue here - given that she's gone home, and she has done so before anything was filed.

OP told us that nothing had been filed. Nothing filed = nothing to withdraw.
She might since her spouse caught her out. She might not want to risk being barred from re-entry by being deported, and therefore chose to take the safer route of returning to her home country voluntarily, before her status changed.

Of course, its also possible that she intended to stay married originally, and just was not happy in the US.

Proserpina

She might since her spouse caught her out. She might not want to risk being barred from re-entry by being deported, and therefore chose to take the safer route of returning to her home country voluntarily, before her status changed.

Of course, its also possible that she intended to stay married originally, and just was not happy in the US.

?

It's a non-issue. She's gone. Nothing was filed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">