• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to Get My Case Heard?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TATER2

This is for Mississippi. My ex husband is in contempt of court ruling and owes me money still. He reached in contempt on Jan 05, I began talking to an attorney later that year. She hurried me to retain her so she could proceed to arrest him and serve him. The problem, is she made a reason that the judge must decide if this case could be heard without my presence, it took her 1 year to ask that question, then promised me the case would be filed, it still hasn't. I put her on retainer on Oct. 30, 2006. To date no filings, no proceedings etc. This attorney has since become a judge, What can I do. How can I ever get this case heard, my money is tied up in this prejudge attorneys firm and she is suppose to be representing me. No effort, only empty promises. What can I do, currently I am residing in Madrid Spain and I have a disability
Thank you for any advice,
Melissa.

LdiJ

This is for Mississippi. My ex husband is in contempt of court ruling and owes me money still. He reached in contempt on Jan 05, I began talking to an attorney later that year. She hurried me to retain her so she could proceed to arrest him and serve him. The problem, is she made a reason that the judge must decide if this case could be heard without my presence, it took her 1 year to ask that question, then promised me the case would be filed, it still hasn't. I put her on retainer on Oct. 30, 2006. To date no filings, no proceedings etc. This attorney has since become a judge, What can I do. How can I ever get this case heard, my money is tied up in this prejudge attorneys firm and she is suppose to be representing me. No effort, only empty promises. What can I do, currently I am residing in Madrid Spain and I have a disability
Thank you for any advice,
Melissa.
If she became a judge then your case should have been reassigned to someone else in the firm. Contact the firm and ask to speak to the senior partner's secretary. Explain the problem that you are having, and the fact that you are located in Madrid, Spain, and ask for assistance in getting the problem resolved. That will hopefully get you some action.

mistoffolees

Thanks, but in the case that she was the only attorney? Then what?
Then you contact her. Since you had paid her a retainer, you have a bona-fide attorney-client relationship and you shouldn't have any problem doing so.

I would think that your best bet would be to simply ask for a return of your retainer since she didn't do what she promised to do and then get another attorney. Or vice-versa.

TATER2

Then you contact her. Since you had paid her a retainer, you have a bona-fide attorney-client relationship and you shouldn't have any problem doing so.

I would think that your best bet would be to simply ask for a return of your retainer since she didn't do what she promised to do and then get another attorney. Or vice-versa.
Thank you, for your response, I have since contacted her, and she continues to claim that she is going to get my ex served with incontempt of court. I spoke with her a week ago, so far no word. In my contract it states that my retainer is non refundable no matter the circumstances. This is why I came to this forum to see what other chances I have at getting my case heard. Is it possible to contact the Bar Association or the Attorney General? I am lost but know I have done my part and have given so much patients to this case, just want my day in court and let the judge decide. Anyway, once again, any advice is appreciated. This is a small town and attorney sometimes stick together, so finding another is going to be like finding a needle in a haystack. Thanks:confused:

Last edited:

LdiJ

holy crap, i know him!!!
That happened to me on these forums...LOL.

I discovered that an ex uncle in law of mine had been instrumental in establishing certain legislation in KY...that I was opposing, and I found it out through this forum.

6 degrees of separation...

Heck, I could do less than the six degrees of separation to most of Hollywood, through several different "lines" and I bet most of us here could do that as well, whether we realized it or not.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">